Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple PXIe-5413 in Chassis and setting reference clock to PXIe_clk100

Solved!
Go to solution

I had a chassis (PXIe-1082) with a single channel PXIe-5413 in and I was able to set the reference clock of the device to use the PXIe_clk100 using the "ClocksReferenceClocks" object and setting the "Source" to PXIe_clk100 (Matlab and FGEN instrument drivers).

I have added a second PXIe-5413 to the chassis which has two channels.  My previous code, even for the previously installed PXIe-5413 doesn't work as the 'Source' property doesn't exist anymore.

Reading the literature for the PXIe-5413 (https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370524V-01/pxie-5413/clocks/) there doesn't appear to be any problems. The synchronization section for ( https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370524V-01/pxie-5413/synchronization/) the card specifies on cards with two channels both are synchronized automatically but not to which reference clock.

The FGEN instrument drivers give an "InstrumentObsolete" group of properties with one being "Reference_Clock_Source" - which I assume refers to this documentation (https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370524V-01/fgencref/nifgen_attr_reference_clock_source/).  Changing these settings spits out an error, though I must admit I haven't attempted all the options

Other functions possible within the FGEN instrument drivers are "Configurefunctionsconfigureclock" with the 'ConfigureReferenceClock' as an object and In the "Obsolete" function the "ConfigureRefClockSource".

Has anyone experience this problem before? Was I using the wrong function/object to set my reference clock previously?  Any suggestions on which setting will work now without trying all of them?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,815 Views)

Hello,

Have you tried to run LabVIEW examples or use NI FGEN Soft Front Panel?

(2,683 Views)

I havent tried any labview examples, but I have used the FGEN soft front panel.  I haven't found a setting in the soft front panel to set the reference clock. Do you know where the setting is ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,675 Views)

What error you are getting?

And what means this:

Spoiler
My previous code, even for the previously installed PXIe-5413 doesn't work as the 'Source' property doesn't exist anymore.

It was there before and now it is not?

Thank you.

(2,642 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PeterDavis

I have resolved this problem.  The point of interest is the first PXie-5413 I had in the chassis was a single channel device, where as the second PXIe-5413 had two channels.

The inclusion of a two-channel PXIe-5413 appears to have modified a lot of the NI-FGEN software to now require any function now have its channel specified.

For example previously

"set(fgenObj.Output, 'Output_Enabled', enable);" would have been sufficient to modify if an output is enabled. However following the installation of a dual channel 5413 it now needs to be :

set(fgenObj.Output(1), 'Output_Enabled', enable), even on the card which only has 1 channel

Message 5 of 5
(1,977 Views)