Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting an USB USBTMC device into MAX when it doesn�t detect it?

I am trying to control an Agilent 33220A Function Generator over a USB connection.
I am running LabVIEW 7.1, NI-VISA 3.1, and Max 3.1.1.

Windows drivers for the generator are installed, and working. The generator shows up as a "USB Test and Measurement Device". I can connect to it with Agilent’s Waveform Editor.

The problem I am having is the device does not show up in Measurement & Automation Explorer.

I tried using ‘VISA Driver Development Wizard’ to create an inf file, and MAX was then able to detect the generator. However this caused it to be in USB RAW mode. None of the GPIB style commands are working this way.

The generator is USBTMC compliant. How can I get MAX to detect it correctly? As near as I can tell Agilent’s installer wrote all the settings directly into the registry, there is no inf file.

Thanks,
Richard
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,393 Views)
Hi Machanix,

In order for MAX to recognize a USBTMC device, then the device's associated driver must be NI-VISA. If Agilent's Waveform Editor can communicate with the instrument without a problem, then it is very possible that the Agilent driver is the one that is currently associated with the instrument. As long as NI-VISA is the associated driver, and the version of NI-VISA is 3.0 or later, then it should show up in MAX. Hope this helps!

John M
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(7,387 Views)
That’s basically the problem. The generator is currently not associated with NI-VISA. I can get it associated by generating an .inf file with NI’s VISA Driver Development Wizard. But then, when it shows up in MAX it’s a USB Raw Resource. Device ID: USB0::0x0957::0x0407::MY44000798::RAW.

I cannot communicate with it in RAW mode. I need it to show up with an ::INSTR extension.

All the threads I have read indicate that the VISA Driver Development Wizard should only be used for non-USBTMC complaint devices. USBTMC complaint devices are supposed to just show up automatically. Plug-and-Pray isn’t working.

I need to get Agilents USB driver associated with NI-VISA. Not bypass it by creating a raw mode driver. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks,
Richard
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(7,382 Views)
Hi again Machanix,

I do not believe there will be a way to 'associate' the Agilent driver with NI-VISA. One driver alone will have control of the device. I'm assuming that the driver controlling this device is Agilent VISA. If you uninstall their driver, NI-VISA should recognize and take over the device. Since it is USBTMC, it should have all the functionality you need within NI-VISA.

John M
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(7,373 Views)