From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Example code for stimulus/response on PXI 5411 (arb mode)and PXI 5620

For my application I need to be able to provide a signal from a PXI 5411 and receive on a PXI 5620. This works except that the clocks run independently such that when one coadds multiple scans together the jitter introduces a phase shift which nullifies the signal to noise advantage from coadding of scans.

I need some clues as to whether I can lock the two boards to the backplane and expect that to solve my problem or if I need to use an independent external clock and lock both boards to a 40 MHz signal (the lower of the two clock speeds).

Any links to example code (CVI) would be appreciated.

Greg
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,968 Views)
You should first try locking both instruments to the PXI backplane 10 MHz reference clock and see if this solves the problem. You can lock the PXI-5620 to the PXI backplane with the following NI-Scope function call:

niScope_ConfigureClock (scopeHandle, NISCOPE_VAL_EXTERNAL, NISCOPE_VAL_NO_SOURCE, NISCOPE_VAL_NO_SOURCE, NISCOPE_VAL_FALSE)

'scopeHandle' will be the variable containing the NI-Scope instrument handle created by the niScope_init() routine.

You can lock the PXI-5411 to the PXI backplane 10 MHz reference clock with the following function calls:

niFgen_ConfigureRefClockSource (arbHandle, NIFGEN_VAL_PXI_CLK10)

niFgen_ConfigureRefClockFrequency (arbHandle, 10E6)

'arbHandle' will be the variable containing the NI-FGEN instrument handle cr
eated by the niFgen_init() routine.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,968 Views)