Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

clone switch configuration but not exactly

3 years ago, we did setup a SCXI-1001 Chassis with 2 SCXI-1127, 6 SCXI-1161 and and 3 SCXI-1190 modules using a NI-4021 to control it from PC.
And we used NI DAQ-MX-7.0.1 and NI-Switch-2.1 as control/driver software.   

Now we have to duplicate that setup. But the NI-4021 is discontinued. So we decided to use a USB-1359 to attach the chassis to the PC instead.
What is the best way to transfer the configuration information to that new setup ? Copying it manually will be error prone but the export option in MAX-3.02 lets me only export configuration data for both SCXI-1001 and NI-4021.  
Does   DAQ-MX-7.0.1 allready include the drivers for the USB-1359 ?  Or do we have to use a newer version of DAQ-MX ?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(5,580 Views)
Hello Markus,

you should be able to load the configuration files from your MAX 3.0.1 in a later version of MAX. You need to have at least NI-DAQmx 7.4 which provides MAX 3.1.1. This driver or a later version you need to install to work with the USB 1359 device. Have a look into the "INSTALLATION GUIDE NI 1357/1358/1359 SCXI Controller/Adapter Kit" on page 2. You can find this installation guide at http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374133b.pdf .

I did like to suggest you to install the new, duplicated SCXI system on a other computer if you could, so you can keep the old system running and set up the new one. This way you also avoid problems, which cold occur if you reinstall driver on the same machine.

On http://www.ni.com/support/daq/versions_scxi_switches.htm and http://www.ni.com/support/daq/versions_scxi.htm you find the latest DAQmx version for your device.

If you got any other question just tell me.

Regards
TomBaum

Message Edited by TomBaum on 07-12-2007 10:17 AM

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(5,569 Views)
Meanwhile,we did setup a new PC with DAQ-MX 8.3 installed. The  USB-1359 is recognized and you can operate the chassis with MAX. But when we try to import the configuation setup from the old PC, it complains about not seeing the the NI-4021 used in the old setup. And there seems to be no option to replace the 4021 with the USB-1359 when importing the configuration. The only option there is "simulate" and if I choose that option it ends with an error message ( config report attached) . And there is also no option to exclude the 4021 when exporting the old configuration.If I try to do that , the export utility lets me to choose either both NI-4021 and SCXI-1001 or none of them.  

Message Edited by markus kossmann on 07-13-2007 12:08 AM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(5,564 Views)
Hi Markus,

Did you try to export your configuration to a nce file? If you did, please try to export an ini file. Afterwards tell me if this works!

Regards
TomBaum
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(5,559 Views)

Hi, Tom

where  can I find the option to export the configuration as ini file ? The export option in the main menu ,I used, doesn't allow  to export as ini file.  It seems to write only .nce files.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(5,556 Views)
Hi,

you can change the type of the file at the destination of saving.

TomBaum
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(5,554 Views)
Unfortunately the option to export as ini file doesn't seem to exist im MAX 3.02 used on the production system , which is to be cloned 
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(5,551 Views)
Hi,

I'll try to test it and give you feedback afterwards. Could you please send me your nce file meanwhile?

I also could not export another typ of file, but send me your config file I'll try to convert it.

TomBaum

Message Edited by TomBaum on 07-13-2007 09:10 AM

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(5,547 Views)
Hi Markus,

There is just one finaly idea I've got, but to do this you have to change your original system. The idea is to update the system to the same version as the new one (DAQmx 8.3) and then export the nce file again or another typ of file.

If this didn't help there is just one final option to get the system started. You have to copy the configuration manualy.

Best luck
TomBaum
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(5,547 Views)
Hi Tom,
I'll attach the .nce configuration file. And we will  clone the production system with a disk imager to a test system, update NI-DAQ on that test system and try to export from that test system. Updating the production system will be only an option if nothing other works.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(5,526 Views)