Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voltage divider with voltage follower (power supply)

Greetings,

I would like to measure the drive signal which controls a piezoelectric positioner using a USB-6343 DAQ. This signal has a range of +-250V and of course the DAQ is limited to +-10V. I know a simple voltage divider can do the re-scaling for me, and from reading I see that a voltage follower is highly recommended to ensure that the DAQ sees a low impedance. Precision is important here, so I do see the voltage follower as necessary.

Where am stuck at the moment is how to supply power to the op-amp for this small application. I've looked for small switch mode power supplies (like the kind they put in LED light bulbs) which I could wire in series to make a virtual ground, but I'm coming up surprisingly empty handed. Could someone more experienced on the board point me in the right direction here?

Also, while I am asking, are there any particular gotchas I should be looking out for in this application?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,504 Views)

There are many sources for DC/DC converters with symmetrical outputs, such as +/- 12VDC etc. They are available with several input options, including 5VDC. This comes from an european supplier, but I am sure there are many more https://www.tracopower.com/products/browse-by-category/detail/dc-dc-converters/reinforced-insulation...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,446 Views)

Hi, I was actually more concerned about converting from AC, since this divider will be an isolated unit. I'm not sure if I did not think about it or what, but I since went back and looked around again. I found some nice small transformers that I could simply use for a linear supply and pass through a LDO regulator https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-PB/4900-9020RB61?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvwUzoUXIIvybxvWcHl....

Once I get around to it I will post back with a planned schematic with some specific numbers for the community to look over.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,442 Views)

What is the point of having an "isolated" supply for the divider/opamp if the signal ground can't be disconnected from the USB ground anyway ?

From the 6343 manual :

"All ground references—AI GND, AO GND, and D GND—are connected on the device. Though AI GND, AO GND, and D GND are connected on the device, they are connected by small traces to reduce crosstalk between subsystems. Each ground has a slight difference in potential."

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,241 Views)