From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voltage divider with voltage follower (power supply)

Greetings,

I would like to measure the drive signal which controls a piezoelectric positioner using a USB-6343 DAQ. This signal has a range of +-250V and of course the DAQ is limited to +-10V. I know a simple voltage divider can do the re-scaling for me, and from reading I see that a voltage follower is highly recommended to ensure that the DAQ sees a low impedance. Precision is important here, so I do see the voltage follower as necessary.

Where am stuck at the moment is how to supply power to the op-amp for this small application. I've looked for small switch mode power supplies (like the kind they put in LED light bulbs) which I could wire in series to make a virtual ground, but I'm coming up surprisingly empty handed. Could someone more experienced on the board point me in the right direction here?

Also, while I am asking, are there any particular gotchas I should be looking out for in this application?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,521 Views)

There are many sources for DC/DC converters with symmetrical outputs, such as +/- 12VDC etc. They are available with several input options, including 5VDC. This comes from an european supplier, but I am sure there are many more https://www.tracopower.com/products/browse-by-category/detail/dc-dc-converters/reinforced-insulation...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,463 Views)

Hi, I was actually more concerned about converting from AC, since this divider will be an isolated unit. I'm not sure if I did not think about it or what, but I since went back and looked around again. I found some nice small transformers that I could simply use for a linear supply and pass through a LDO regulator https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-PB/4900-9020RB61?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvwUzoUXIIvybxvWcHl....

Once I get around to it I will post back with a planned schematic with some specific numbers for the community to look over.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,459 Views)

What is the point of having an "isolated" supply for the divider/opamp if the signal ground can't be disconnected from the USB ground anyway ?

From the 6343 manual :

"All ground references—AI GND, AO GND, and D GND—are connected on the device. Though AI GND, AO GND, and D GND are connected on the device, they are connected by small traces to reduce crosstalk between subsystems. Each ground has a slight difference in potential."

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,258 Views)