Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using TEDS as storage for precision standards instead of transducers

My company makes and calibrates precision resistance, capacitance and inductance standards. These are not transducers, yet they posess calibration data that would benefit from 'internal storage'. Some data could event be represented as a polynomial or a table (capac vs. freq; resistance vs. temp)

Is there a standard like TEDS for 'source' components; or could TEDS be used to create a built-in datasheet? (Call it "SEEDS", Standards Equipped with Electronic Data Sheet 😉 .

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,699 Views)
Hello,

As of now, if there is such a standard, I am unaware of it. However, there may be a way to do something like this using TEDS. The IEEE 1451.4 (TEDS) standard does include an optional calibration section where different types of calibration data can be stored. So you may be able to utilize TEDS to store information about the resistors/capacitors/inductors. However, National Instruments software does not currently read in the calibration information and automatically process it.

Something else that could be considered is that along with the calibration section there is a user data section in TEDS format that allows the placement of ASCII data.

Also, with NI-DAQ 7.2, you have the ability to read in a bitstream from a TEDS sensor. So it is also possibl
e to develop your own format and read in the binary information and process it using LabVIEW. However, you would have to understand IEEE 1451.4, and how to write in the proper checksums, and then create your own TEDS sensor, but I do believe it is possible.

Interesting Idea! Keep them coming!

Justin T.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,699 Views)