From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal conditioner (amplifier) for cDAQ system!

Solved!
Go to solution

The system that I want to build will be used to monitor the excitation system of an generator/motor. I have a couple of signal that are bellow 100 mV, for example excitation current measured with a shunt resistor  40 A/ 60 mV.The problem is that I what to amplify the signal to get more accuracy. Can someone supply me with a hardware conditioning option (low cost). I have at my disposal two NI 9201 and one NI 9205 card. 

Thank you have a nice day!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,894 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Padeanu.L

Hello Padeanu,

Thanks for posting on the Discussion Forums! The 9205 already has a PGIA (Programmable Gain Instrument Amplifier) that amplifies your signal so you won't lose accuracy. According to the specifications, you will get 174 uV of accuracy using the 200 mV voltage range and a code width of 6.57 uV / LSB. Is your current setup too inaccurate for you? Will the excitation system for your motor be always below 100 mV, even when the motor is on?

Regards,
Daniel REDS
RF Systems Engineer

Help us grow.
If a post solves your question, mark it as The Solution.
If a post helps, give Kudos to it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,862 Views)

Yes the excitation curent will be between 0 - 75 mV or 0-150 mV depending on the shunt resistor uset for measurement. Thank you for the heads up I will test your answer and come back with the results! 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,853 Views)