Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send Thermocouple measurements over > 5m using TC-4353 and PXIe-4353

Hi, I am attempting to set thermocouple readings over a long distance ~10m from a measurement room to a PXI chassis in a control room. In between, there will be a NI TC-4353 CJC box. I am trying to determine the best way to do this while reducing the noise. 

I assume the shielded NI SH-96-96-1 will be as good as possible in environmental noise reduction. And I will want to put the TC-4353 as close as possible to my measurement points. However, the 5m SH-96-96-1 cable will not be quite long enough. Would prehaps connecting another SH-96-96-1 cable in series be a better option than extending the thermocouple wires? The signal after the TC-4353 is still a low voltage, correct? Is it possible to perform the signal amplification or ADC of the PXI board outside of the PXI chassis? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,478 Views)

Hi @leeaspitarte,

One resource you may wish to refer to Five Tips to Reduce Measurement Noise. Otherwise, what type of shielding do you have on the thermocouple wires do you have? I would expect an extended shielded cable to minimize noise better than extending an unshielded cable/wire. 

In terms of amplification, you could amplify the signal by adding an amplifier to your circuit outside the PXI system as long as you remain within the specified voltage range of your PXI device. 

If you are still in the design phase of your project, it may also be worth discussing the system planning with someone on the Sales Engineering team at NI who can help you address the challenges with your application. 

Cheers,

paigec

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,394 Views)