SCXI modules not auto detected

HI AEs,

I have the following hardware configuration:

scxi 1000DC Chassis
scxi 1600 usb digitizer - slot 1
scxi 1112 - slot 2
scxi 1121 - slot 3
scxi 1121 - slot 4

*** order of cards is not important because we can move them around and behavior below is still exhibited***

DAQ driver version from MAX:
NI-DAQmx version 8.7.1f2

When we do not insert a third module (can be either a 1121, 1112, or 1520) into the chassis, Max will auto detect and we can read from all detected modules.  Everything is good...  When we add the 3rd module it will no longer auto detect any of the modules.  The slot position of the "3rd" module is unimportant because we get the same results no matter what slot we put the "3rd" module into.  So, to overcome the auto detect problem, we manually configure the modules in their correct slots and then when we open a test panel on any of the modules it gives us the attached error message.  We have tried putting 3 scxi 1520's in the chassis as well, with the same results.  When the chassis gets in this state we can not reset any of the modules or the chassis either.  It seems as if it has lost all communication with the chassis.  This same behavior is exhibited in multiple scxi 1000dc chassis and multiple scxi 1600 digitizers.

This did not happen until we upgraded to LV 8.5.1.

Is this a known bug with DAQ 8.7.1?  Any ideas of how to fix this short of going back to an earlier version of LV & DAQ?

Thanks,
Brooks W.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(9,481 Views)

Hi Brooks,

Let me make sure I understand what you’ve done so far. You are using the SCXI-1000DC chassis and have connected the SCXI-1600 as the communicating device in slot 1, the SCXI-1112 in slot 2, and either an SCXI-1121, SCXI-1112, or SCXI-1520 in any other slot, and by placing any third module in the chassis, you get error -200073, correct? This exact setup used to work before installing LabVIEW 8.5.1, but not now.

1.     What version of LabVIEW and DAQ drivers were you using previously?

2.     Were there any other, even seemingly inconsequential, changes such as using a different cable, etc.?

3.     What other configurations have you tried? (i.e. communicating to a DAQ device using the SCXI-1349 and a cable instead of the SCXI-1600. If you try this, pay attention to priority as outlined here.)

4.     If you have an SCXI-1349, please try auto-detecting one of these “third” modules all by itself. If that doesn’t work, we should start there.

5.     As a last resort, we could try clearing your MAX database to see if that helps. The best way is by following this KB (steps 5 and 6 to move the data folder elsewhere in order for MAX to create a fresh one).

Please let me know the information I have requested and let me know any other steps you’ve taken to isolate the issue. Hopefully we’ll figure this out soon.

Mark E.
Precision DC Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(9,471 Views)

Hi Mark,

You are correct in your understanding of the hardware setup except that the SCXI-1112 does not have to be in slot 2.  In one test case we put 1520's in each of the three remaining slots (1600 was in slot 1) and it still exhibited the same behavior.

We tested the software/hardware under LV 7.1 & DAQ 8.5 today and it did the same thing as the later versions.  I don't know which version it did work properly with but the guys in the lab did have it working at one time.  Anyway, I guess that's trivial because it should be working with the current version...

We tried a 1349 adapter, cabled to a PXI-6052E, and a different SCXI 1000DC chassis and it exhibited essentially the same behavior.  When we had 3 modules in the scxi chassis (1112 - slot 1, 1121 - slots 2 & 3) it worked great.  When we put another 1121 in slot 4 it no longer worked.  It appears that when the chassis is completely filled with modules it no longer has communication with the chassis.

There were no other changes to cables and clearing the MAX database yielded the same results.

Has no one else reported this?  It sounds like a driver issue to me...

Thanks,

Brooks W.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(9,458 Views)

Hi Brooks,

I don’t see any known issues about this, so I’m trying to gather the hardware necessary to duplicate the issue. I will let you know what I come up with as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

By the way, which version of 8.7.1 do you have (i.e. f1, f2, etc.)? You can check the specific version in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) under the Software tab.

Mark E.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(9,442 Views)

Hi Brooks,

I got the equipment and tried it out yesterday on my computer with DAQmx 8.7.2f1. It seemed to work fine using the SCXI-1000DC chassis (running off the battery), an SCXI-1121 in slot 1, and three 1121’s in the other slots. Then I tried to use the 1600 module, but it wasn’t recognized. I noticed that using the SCXI-1000 chassis, it is recognized and the lights on the front were lit. So I tried again with the SCXI-1000DC and noticed that the lights weren’t lit. So I wonder if I just didn’t have a good enough charge to power it. I just now found a charger for the 1000DC battery (SCXI-1382) and am charging it. Hopefully it will cause the 1600’s lights to turn on and be detected by my computer.

Do you see the lights on the front of the SCXI-1600 when it says the modules can’t be detected? If not, then you won’t be able to see anything in the chassis. If you’re running off of battery and it used to work and not now, it could possibly be coincidence that the battery got low enough at the same time you upgraded. Maybe not, but you never know, right?

In the meantime, I’d like to know what version of DAQmx you’ve got, as that may or may not make a difference.

I’ll keep you posted as to my progress, but if you’ll answer my above two questions, that would be great.

Mark E.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(9,433 Views)

Brooks,

Will you please confirm that your SCXI-1600 works in your SCXI-1000DC chassis? I'm afraid that I can't keep posting to the forum while testing other configurations unless I know that you still require assistance. Please respond if you desire further help. Thanks! 

Mark E.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(9,419 Views)

Hi Mark, Sorry for the long delay. I was at a customers site when I started the post and now I'm back at my office...  Anyway, the SCXI 1000DC chassis is powered from a power supply so it would not have a "low power" problem.  The DAQ version is listed in the first post.  Have you tried taking out one of the scxi modules with the 1600 plugged in?  That is the configuration that works for us and then when we put the "3rd" module in it no longer works.

Thanks,

Brooks

Feel free to call me if you would like to talk in person.  My number is on my profile.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(9,395 Views)

Hi Brooks,

Since my chassis isn't giving me the same behavior, I was wondering if you'd be able to give me the part # from the chassis? I'll try to obtain the same revision to see if I have more success in reproducing the behavior.

Mark E.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(9,374 Views)

Hi Mark,

Part# 182564J-01

Serial# 1299E68

Model# SCXI-1000DC

Thanks,

Brooks