From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCXI and USB 6210? Getting Started...

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am attempting to get a SCXI signal conditioning system online collecting data and had a few quick questions...  First of all what I have is 1 SCXI 1000 chassis, an assortment of modules including SCXI 1121, SCXI 1180, and SCXI 1100.  I also have a couple of different terminal blocks, a SCXI 1300 and a 1320.

1) Per the "What you need to get started" section in the "SCXI chassis user manual" all the only hardware I need is the SCXI Chassis hardware (in my case the SCXI 1000), a 120 VAC power chord, and a computer.  However in the "What you need to get started section" of the "Getting Started with SCXI" manual I also need an SCXI 1200 or "DAQ Device".  So my short question is this, can I attach the SCXI 1000 directly to my laptop without any additional hardware?  I get the feeling I need something else, but want to make sure...

1b) Assuming I do need an additional DAQ device to get started, can I somehow use a NI USB 6210?  I checked the manuals and little is said regarding SCXI.

2) Neither manual mentions a controller, however the SCXI advisor pushes one.  Are they required if all I am doing is collected data, not active control?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,977 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mike04

Mike,

There are a couple of options for you to get your SCXI system up and running. You will need either a M-Series or an E-Series card to connect to your SCXI system or you could look into the NI SCXI-1600 which is a controller for your SCXI chassis and would allow you to connect your laptop to the controller through a USB cable. This controller is going to operate similar to the E-Series Cards and the M-Series Cards. 

We also offer a couple of PCMCIA cards that would allow you to integrate the SCXI system with your laptop. These are the NI DAQCard-6036E and the NI DAQCard-6062E. Unfortunately, your NI USB-6210 is unable to be used as the Data Acquisition device for your SCXI chassis. The list of DAQ cards that are possible for use with your system can be found here under the "Controller" tab. 

http://ohm.ni.com/advisors/scxi/pages/scxi/modules.xhtml?conversationContext=1

Also we have an older SCXI Getting Started Manual that you can find here: 

http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/C195895E8C9CAE3D8625691F004DB285

Aaron W.
National Instruments
CLA, CTA and CPI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,966 Views)