Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCXI-1001 upgrade from Macintosh to Windows

I have an existing acquisition/control system that is running on a Mac Quadra 950 machine using LabVIEW 4.1 under Mac OS 7.5.5. The old configuration has a NB-MIO-16X along with an NB-DMA2800 communicating with an old SCXI-1001 chassis (so old the SCXI-1001 does not have external DIP switches to configure the address). We're in the process of upgrading the system. We've purchased a DELL PC (running WinXP) and a PCI-6052E to communicate with the existing SCXI-1001 setup. I've upgraded the LabVIEW code from 4.1 (Mac) to 7.1 (Win) and have a "clean arrow". I'm hoping to keep the existing SCXI configuration in tact (modules include two SCXI-1120's, one SCXI-1124, one SCXI-1160, and one SCXI-1162). Was the PCI-6052E a proper upgrade choice to make the software/hardware "swap" to the new machine as seamless as possible? Will a "wiring harness" be necessary between the PCI-6052E and the existing SCXI-1349 Adapter to compensate for the difference in pinouts between the PCI-6052E and the NB-MIO-16X, or will that be taken care of via the SCXI software addressing in the code? I'd like to continue using the existing traditional DAQ calls already in the LabVIEW code. Will this be possible or do they have Mac NuBus architecture "flavor" to them? What gotcha's should I be expecting? This is a pretty in depth system that's been running fine for close to 10 years, so I'd like to keep as much of the existing software/hardware as possible and avoid reinventing the wheel.

Thank you for your input/insite/expertise.

Regards,
Hansel Neurath
Message 1 of 2
(2,976 Views)
Hansel,

It sounds like you chose the right device for the job. While there isn't a great head-to-head swap for the old NuBus boards the E-Series boards will allow you to continue using the older traditional DAQ driver calls.

Most of your concerns should be handled at a driver level and should allow for easy integration. The VIs calling for reading of the modules are really looking at the SCXI channel string. As a result all of the information is handled by the driver in the background. Even though you may be using different boards, all of the complicated routing will be handled by the DAQ drivers.

I hope this eases some of your concerns.

Have a great day,
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,963 Views)