Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing some signals when using NI6210 and labview

I am using NI6210 and labview to sample the output voltage and current. The output voltage going though the voltage sensor board  is connected to the NI6210. When I use labview to observe the voltage waveform,some sampling signals are missing. The PWM frequency of the original voltage signal is 10KHz. My sampling frequency range is from 20KHz to 60KHz.  

I am pretty confused with the missing signals I detected, do you have some suggestions? Thank you very much.

original voltage and sensed voltage

The figure above shows original voltage(top)and sensed voltage(bottom).

voltage signal in labview

The figure above shows the voltage signal in labview.

I used the standard high frequency (20KHz) squarewave to test the setup and it works well. However, once I sample the output voltage, there are some signals missing. Is that because of the inaccurate sensed voltage I get from the voltage sensor board I made by myself? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,260 Views)

This really looks like a signal issue, rather than a LabVIEW issue. Is it repeatable? Is it happening at a consistant frequency?

Can you share your LV code to eliminate that as an issue? Please include a Snippet of your code, or attach your VIs, so that we can better assist you.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,250 Views)

Edit: Oops, didn't mean to respond twice.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,249 Views)

I see a definate impedance mismatch between the signals.  I suspect you are filtering the signal improperly however the sample rates sound correct.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,226 Views)

For a 10kHz PWM Signal I would recommend at least 20 to 30 times higher samplerates ....  if you want to see more than a coarse guess of the waveform 😉

So 250kSPS is worth a try

Or add a lowpass filter .....   depends what you want to measure

How does your sense board look like?  schematic and build up?  

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,201 Views)

Thank you very much for your reply. Could you please explain more about impedance mismatch you mentioned? I will show you more information in my experiment. The sensor board I used is based on LV25P voltage sensor. The basic diagram is listed below.7]`XQB2%LH_}QH[IX7}`46C.png

The R1 is 40K ohm, the Rm is 120 ohm. The measured voltage is 400V, the calculated output is 3V.

I also checked more information related to " Troubleshooting Unexpected Voltages, Floating, or Crosstalk on Analog Input Channels " :

Problem:
I am getting crosstalk, floating, or some other kind of unexpected voltage on my analog input channel, and I would like some help troubleshooting this problem. What are some possible reasons for this behavior?

Solution:
There are a number of reasons that you may be seeing unexpected voltages or crosstalk on an analog channel. The following are some of the more common reasons:  

1. High Source Impedance
    If multiplexed systems are driven by sources with high source impedance compared to the input impedance of the NI card, you may see voltages from one scanned channel reflected on another scanned channel. In order to eliminate these reflections, the source impedance and input impedance should be matched.

Is this related to what you mentioned?

The VI in labview is listed below:

rsz_img_4767.jpg

rsz_1rsz_img_4768.jpg

I did not use any filter before sending signal to NI6210 from sensor board at this time.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,190 Views)

Thank you very much for you reply. I tried higher frequency as you mentioned and it did help improve the existed waveform, however, the missing part doesn't change. The highest sampling frequency of NI6210 is around 150kHz for one channel.  My sensor board information is provided in my reply to 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,187 Views)

Thank you very much for your reply. 

Is it repeatable?

Yes, it is.

Is it happening at a consistant frequency?

No, it is quite random

The VI is listed in the reply to 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,185 Views)

I figured out the problem. This is because I did not connect one of the analog output to the ground port in 6210 like the figure below. Thank you very much for you help.

TJ~N8X57V~N7`1O(W7QX(EH.png

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,175 Views)

I figured out the problem. The reason is replied above. Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,174 Views)