From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honeywell STJE pressure transducer measurement with NI-9236?

I'd like to measure the output of a Honeywell STJE pressure transducer with an NI-9236 quarter-bridge strain gauge module.  The transducer is described as a 350-ohm "strain gage based transducer."  With an excitation voltage of 10Vdc, the unamplified output (mV/V) should be within the NI-9236's max. input of +/-29.4mV/V.

The NI-9236 is plugged into an NI cDAQ-9174 and is to be controlled with LabVIEW.

It sounds straight-forward, so naturally I must be missing something...

Any thoughts or advice?

John

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,771 Views)

Hi John,

What specific problems are you running into?

My initial thought is that you should try using a LabVIEW shipping example for the 9236. In LabVIEW click Help > Find Examples. Select the search tab and search for 9236. I would start by looking at the Analog Input - Getting Started - Scan Mode.lvproj. 

Aaron Douglass
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,745 Views)

Thanks Aaron,

We haven't received the pressure transducer yet.  I was hoping to use NI equipment already on-hand (the NI-9236).

-John

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,699 Views)

I looked at the datasheet for your pressure transducer and it looks like it should work just fine with the 9236. The only potential catch is that Input Power for the transducer is listed at 10 volts. The exitation voltage for the 9236 is at most 3.3 volts. All this means is that you may need external power or an amplifier for the tansducer. The 9236 will still be good for completing the bridge and reading in the measurements. 

Aaron Douglass
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,687 Views)

The transducer is a full bridge; we're going to use an NI-9237.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,671 Views)