From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High strain rate testing (SHPB)

Hi everyone,

If I need a strain measurement data point from the specimen for every 1 microsecond then I need a measuring device with a frequency bandwidth of 1000KHz and above?. 

But the catalog for strain instruments (C Series Strain/Bridge Input Module) has a maximum of 50KS/s/ch. This can give a measuring point every 20 microseconds, which I think is not suitable for dynamic material characterization and impact experiments.

Can someone tell me what devices are used for SHPB and impact data measurements form NI.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,616 Views)

Hello Bhaskarhnk,

The PXIe-4331 has a maximum sample rate of 102Ks/s, which can allow you to strain measurement data point from the specimen for every 10 microseconds

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,543 Views)

You need 1MSPS and assuming a <0.5% uncertainty at ~100 mV  ...  

We use  a PXI 5922 for high shock calibration, but we use an additional signal conditioner only up to 300kHz,. but a good 1MHz bridge amplifier ??? would be challenge to calibrate it 😉 

So a 1MSPS (an no multiplexing!) DAQ with external amplifier looks reasonable ...  unless a NI-supporter comes up with a 1MSPS DAQ and less than 2mV uncertainty 😉

And I want NI product finder with a general spec search including spec'ed uncertainty, min max ranges, but maybe I missed it 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,537 Views)

Hi Bhaskar,

I am using PXIe-6124 card (4MS/sec) for SHPB. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,426 Views)