From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I am using GPS receiver, Gyroscope, an

d odometer. My question How can connect these 3 sensors to COM1? Also, I need to take the GPS time every 1 sec and put this time to the odometer and Gyroscope output? By the way, records from Odometer and Gyroscope every 0.1 sec. Thanks in advance, MahmoudI will use GPS, Gyroscope, and Odometer to defind the vehicle location with other sensors. I faced a problem when I tried to connect all sensors to my Labtop. Also, GPS gives data with time tagging but other sensors not. How Can I make time tagging for other data to be synchronized with GPS time every 1 sec. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,943 Views)
d odometer. My question How can connect these 3 sensors to COM1? Also, I need to take the GPS time every 1 sec and put this time to the odometer and Gyroscope output? By the way, records from Odometer and Gyroscope every 0.1 sec. Thanks in advance, MahmoudAlthough I do not have a lot of experience with serial devices, as far as I know, RS-232 only allows you to connect one device to the computer. I think RS-485 will be the option for you.

To receive more answers, I would suggest that you place this question in the Instrument Connectivity (Serial) Discussion Forum.

Good luck!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,943 Views)
d odometer. My question How can connect these 3 sensors to COM1? Also, I need to take the GPS time every 1 sec and put this time to the odometer and Gyroscope output? By the way, records from Odometer and Gyroscope every 0.1 sec. Thanks in advance, MahmoudI never used but heard about serial multiplexers that can input different serial sources and route it to one serial RS-232 signal. I believe the device adds an ID for knowing where the input came from.
Or use a more modern solution: use a USB device to add extra serial ports.
I don't see a problem in the time-tagging.
For low time-resolution just use the PC's time-stamp and compensate the difference with the time-reference from the GPS signal for the other non-timestamped signals.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,943 Views)
d odometer. My question How can connect these 3 sensors to COM1? Also, I need to take the GPS time every 1 sec and put this time to the odometer and Gyroscope output? By the way, records from Odometer and Gyroscope every 0.1 sec. Thanks in advance, MahmoudHi Mahmoud,

Another option you may wish to consider is to increase the number of serial ports available on your laptop. For example, you can obtain a PCMCIA card that has additional RS-232 ports. National Instruments has a 4-port PCMCIA RS-232 card available, which can be found on ni.com by going to Products & Services > Instrument Control and Connectivity > Serial Interfaces > PCMCIA > PCMCIA-232/....

With this expansion, you will be able to connect each RS-232 device to its own port, and then interface that within LabVIEW. Other options could be to convert the serial interface into another protocol, such as USB (as previously suggested) or Ethernet.

Hope this helps!

Wilbur Shen
Web S
upport and Operations
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,943 Views)