Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the SCC2345 modules hot swapable?

I've been setting up and debugging an application with the SCC 2345 unit.  I'm troubleshooting a sensor error and am wasting a lot of time shutting down me system to change out modules and make wiring connections, then rebooting.  It would save a lot of time if I could just "hot swap" the modules (as I've heard it called before) while the system is powered up.  Am I going to cause damage to my system or modules if I do this?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,077 Views)
SCC is not designed to be hot-swappable, so to ensure the extended life of your modules it is recommended that you disconnect the power source to your SCC carrier before removing or inserting your SCC modules. You don't, however, need to shut off your computer or your application software when disconnecting the power from your SCC carrier.

Regards,
Logan Kunitz
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,073 Views)
My carrier is being powered through my computer (the DAQ card).  So is it accetpable to disconnect the cable connector to the carrier?  That seems to me that is would be doing the same as unplugging a module while powered.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,070 Views)
Yes, you can disconnect the cable while the computer is still on because the power supply on the SC-2345 is designed to be connected and disconnected from the DAQ board at will. The modules are powered from the output of the power supply on the SC-2345 - not directly from the DAQ board - so it is not equivalent to the affect of inserting a module into a powered carrier.

Regards,
Logan
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,065 Views)