From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50mV peak in analoge sine output, f=10kHz

Solved!
Go to solution

Good morning!

Yesterday I found that when I create an analoge sine ouput signal (either with a labview program or in the M&A test panel) the sine has a 50mV peak when it changes sign(+/-)

I'm using a USB-6212

labview 8.6

sample frequency: 200kS/s

sine frequency:       10kHz                     

The peak is still there for 1000Hz (stil 50mV), but I dont see it for 10Hz frequencies.

The peak amlitude does not change for Amplitudes between 1V to 10mV.

I see the same glich on AO-0 and AO-1, and it is always when the sine =zero.

Does any one know: "What this is?" and more important: What can be done about it?????

I've attached a picture of the peaks for a sine with amplitude 10mV.

Applying a filter to take out the peak would be my last resort, but that does not seem like the way to go.

Thank you so much,

Tasio

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,856 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author funkymunky

That glitch (spike) is typycal for some (simple) DAC designs. A simple RC filter can help . Bonny Baker wrote an article in EDN about it and a KB article about this topic from NI is also somwhere at ni.com....

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,848 Views)

Thanx Henrik!

That helps a lot. At least for the understanding. I'm not sure if I can buy a string DAC but its either that or filtering.

And filtering is not realy an option since I would like to be able to change the frequency...

If any one else is interested: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt300/slyt300.pdf and http://pages.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ubm/edn_20110728/offline/ubm_edn_20110728.pdf (ctr+f Bonnie Baker)

might be of interest.

So thank you very much Henrik,

may you live long and prosper:)

Cheers,

Tasio

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,832 Views)

"The glitch is most prevalent during the MSB transition, when bits are switching from 7FFFh to 8000h (for a 16 -bit DAC)" [1]

What if I keep transitions from 7FFFh to 8000h from happening? I could just change the range or give my sine an offset? 

I might see the second most significant bit change, but would not have as large a glitch.

[1]Bonnie Baker: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt300/slyt300.pdf (page 6 lower part)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,829 Views)
What is the maximum value of current that the Elvis II can sink in ??? I am using function generator to produce a sine wave.plz tell me wht the max current ratings so that nuthing happens o my elvis 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,786 Views)