This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted

Some possible topics

I'd really like to have some virtues/vices discussions hashing out the pros/cons, applications/mis-applications, strengths/limitations of at least three topics that have come up in discussions with other LabVIEW users over the past year:

1. LabVIEW Real-Time (specifically RT, not FPGA).  Personally, I probably tend to be a bit of a bright-eyed, shiney faced NI cool-aid drinker on the stability, determinism, reliability of RT and not much jaded.  Having done enough PLC programming in ladder logic, embedded code in C/assembly, and having experienced enough windows updates and Linux system builds to know the alternatives, I love the paradigm of LabVIEW on an RTOS or cRIO processor and I don't like the feeling that something might be hiding under the water.  But I don't believe that everything has to be (or should have to be) on FPGA to be bulletproof.  Maybe we can hash out some specific limitations, criticisms, but also strengths of RT from our collective experience.  What are some real-world best practices to avoid gotchas, but also to implement the strengths.  What improvements are or need to be in the works from NI that we can advocate?

2. Object-Oriented design:  Some people feel like it isn't an architects group if we aren't discussing OO design patterns.  I'm probably more of a pragmatist here, so I'm a fence-sitter, sometimes leaner to one side or other.  I still feel like I have a lot to learn on the OO side that is beneficial though.  What is LabVIEW doing well in OO, what are they working on?  Where should I put my learning time and try to implement OO techniques?

3. State machines:  same type of discussion.  I do a lot of QDMH, show me a better way.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,389 Views)
1 REPLY

Some possible topics

I second this.  I am opinionated about each of the above topics, and I think a discussion at one of our meetings would be benefitial.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(879 Views)
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.