This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted

MGI Error Reporter

I got the following warnings when I opened the VI Tree:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2010\user.lib\_MGI\Error Reporter\MGI Error Reporter Base\VI Tree.vi (MGI Error Reporter Base.lvclass:VI Tree.vi)

- The FP terminal named "MGI Error Reporter Base.lvclass" is inside a structure node. In previous versions, some output terminal of this VI would automatically downcast its type to match this input. That frequently lead to undesirable behavior, including crashes, so automatic downcasting is no longer supported if the FP terminal is inside a structure node. Move this FP terminal outside all structure nodes to allow this VI to continue having automatic downcast behavior.

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2010\user.lib\_MGI\Error Reporter\MGI Error Reporter Dialog\VI Tree.vi (MGI Error Reporter Dialog.lvclass:VI Tree.vi)

- The FP terminal named "MGI Error Reporter Dialog.lvclass" is inside a structure node. In previous versions, some output terminal of this VI would automatically downcast its type to match this input. That frequently lead to undesirable behavior, including crashes, so automatic downcasting is no longer supported if the FP terminal is inside a structure node. Move this FP terminal outside all structure nodes to allow this VI to continue having automatic downcast behavior.

Robert Mortensen
CLA, CLED, LabVIEW Champion, World's Fastest LabVIEW Programmer
Principal Systems Engineer, Endigit
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(8,876 Views)
12 REPLIES

MGI Error Reporter

About half the time "Detailed of selected error" shows "No Error" even though I've clicked on an error.

Robert Mortensen
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(2,642 Views)

MGI Error Reporter

It would be nice and intuitive to have a boolean imput on "Create" to show the UI so you don't have to explicitely call another subVI.

Robert Mortensen
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(2,642 Views)

MGI Error Reporter

Great feedback!  You found some bugs that are seen when the Error Reporter is used with recent LabVIEW versions.

The warnings are now gone.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(2,642 Views)

MGI Error Reporter

Comment 1. above is now fixed.  The Error Reporter registers for events dynamically, and if the front panel isn't open it outputs an error instead of registering for the events.  The code now uses the Simple Error Handler to show any errors and opens the front panel but makes it Hidden (Thanks to Brandon for this tip).

Comment 2. is not addressed.  I assumed the common use case is to not show the error reporter until errors have occurred, at which point it should show automatically.  This was probably not working because of the error that is now fixed.  However, if you think the Error Reporter Dialog should appear by default even if there are no errors, let me know.

I forgot to mention in the last post that I've updated the Documents entry in SLAVA to include a new MGI Error Reporter package.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(2,642 Views)

MGI Error Reporter

Yes, I was going for the common use case of not showing the error reporter until an error occurs, at which point it automatically shows up.  Thanks for the quick turnaround.

Robert Mortensen
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(2,642 Views)

Re: MGI Error Reporter

I'm wondering if what I'm seeing is intended behavior.  Here's a screenshot:

Intended Behavior.png

These are all the same error (-200561), but the description is slightly different for each one.  Should these be showing up as different items even though they are in essence the same?

Robert Mortensen
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(2,642 Views)

Thanks for the feedback, FlamingYawn.

I'm not sure what the behavior should be.  The behavior you described is intended, but it does have the drawback of sometimes seeing many errors.  The advantage with this behavior is that you can see the specific text for each error by clicking on the error in the history window.  If errors were grouped only by error code or only by error code and call chain, then it would be difficult to see the text that is specific to a single error occurrence.  I'd like to know what is the most liked behavior and use it.  The behavior can always be modified by overriding the right VI(s), but it would be nice if the default worked for most situations.  Please let me know what behavior you would prefer.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,642 Views)

I'm not sure there's a good answer for this.  Of course you want to see descriptions if they're different.  But I also don't want this to keep popping up on my user.  Wasn't there a way to acknowledge a specific error code and not have it pop up anymore?

Looks like this website needs some work...

Robert Mortensen
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(2,642 Views)

I'm still getting the error where I have an error but no error description.

No Error Description.png

I have to click in the listbox below the error then back to it to get the error description to show up.

Robert Mortensen
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,642 Views)
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.