Reference Design Content

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dr. James Powell: Messenger Library

The Messenger Library is available on the LabVIEW Tools Network and on LAVA, contains the architecture that I use for applications.  It includes templates for "actors" (note: NOT Actor Framework actors) and I have posted several videos on YouTube as introduction/instruction.

Description

The Messenger Library is an extensive library for passing messages between parallel processes. It generalizes the communication method, allowing the message sender to use the method provided by the receiver. Supported communication methods include wrappings of simple queues, user events, and notifiers, as well a more complex channels such as a TCP server and client. In addition, one can configure simple forwarding addresses ("Observers"), which can send messages to multiple destinations, optionally with modifications such as adding a prefix to the message label, relabeling, or substituting a different message.

Communication patterns supported include request-reply (asynchronous or synchronous), where the reply is sent to a <reply address> attached to the request, and register-notify, where one process sends a registration message to another in order to subscribe to a series of updates.  It also supports scatter-gather, the gathering of replies from multiple senders into an array of messages.

A framework for dynamically-launched VI "actors" is also provided, including example templates, which can be accessed via the Tools menu (from an open Project, select Tools>>Messenger Library>>Create Actor from Template).  An "Actor Manager" debug tool is also installed under the Tools menu.  Please note that this package is not related to the NI Actor Framework, other than that both packages are influenced by the Actor Model.

Tutorials

The first video:

Additional Videos

Comments
ijerom
on

I'm your BIG FAN. ^^

Cool library.

I have to study messenger library.