Components

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replication and Deployment Utility (RAD)

Thanks for letting us know. What a stupid problem!

@RVallieu wrote:

SOLVED!

I found the issue - and after the fact it makes sense.

The RadInstaller.exe was set to run with Windows 7 Compatibility after it downloaded.

This was leading to the issues of getting the install error of the missing Windows 7 SP1.

I changed the Compatibility to Windows 8 (the latest choice it would allow) and that allowed the installer to run on Windows 10.  Deselecting the Compatibility checkbox did not work as that reverted to Windows 7.

Ryan

Thanks for letting us know. What a stupid problem!

0 Kudos
Message 281 of 324
(2,617 Views)

Yeah I agree - not sure why it was set to Windows 7 Compatibility on download - that was not something that I selected.  I even deleted my original installer download and downloaded it again.

It all came down to the Compatibility setting.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Senior Systems Analyst II
NASA Ames Research Center
0 Kudos
Message 282 of 324
(2,618 Views)

Hi All,

I'm looking into applying a deployment image (.lvappimg) from a Linux based OS to a RIO device (SOM). As in I cannot use the Windows RAD app. Does anyone know if this is possible and if there is an application for this?

In case someone suggests, I suspect that SystemLink won't work. The SOM will not have Internet Access.

0 Kudos
Message 283 of 324
(2,600 Views)

@ATribo wrote:

Hi All,

I'm looking into applying a deployment image (.lvappimg) from a Linux based OS to a RIO device (SOM). As in I cannot use the Windows RAD app. Does anyone know if this is possible and if there is an application for this?

In case someone suggests, I suspect that SystemLink won't work. The SOM will not have Internet Access.

The image source and target device needs to be of the same type. It is not enough that the source was running the same type of OS  (Linux-RT). Unfortunately even the executable itself will be different between various targets even though they run the same processor etc. 

Why can you not use RAD though? You need a network link to the SOM (doe snot need to be on the Internet), and that means you connect a computer with RAD and the image on, and deploy the image from there. What is stopping you from doing that? 

0 Kudos
Message 284 of 324
(2,582 Views)

Hi Mads,

The update file has to go through an IoT platform (custom, Linux, made by 3rd party) and the code on the SOM has to be updated remotely without a technician being on site or the product user doing it. The IoT platforms Edge device would do it. The task is to allow the IoT platform developer to automate/perform the update with the latest SW image. (No Windows OS on the product on site.)

The .lvapping would be specific to the SOM (extracted from a SOM). Just instead the RAD tool + Windows OS would apply it, a Linux OS would take the .lvappimg file and perform the steps necessary to place in on the SOM. 

If there is a way that replaces the .lvappimg file with a different "extension" that may also be fine.

0 Kudos
Message 285 of 324
(2,578 Views)

You could just transfer the image onto the device through SFTP or any available means..(We use a custom made modbus file transfer protocol to do it serially on our SOM devices), and have the SOM application apply it to itself using the "Set System Image.vi" from the System Configuration API.

Message 286 of 324
(2,574 Views)

Hi Mads,

I think that is exactly what I need! Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 287 of 324
(2,569 Views)

Hi All,

I found a bug in the latest version of RAD.  Not sure if this is the best place to post, so let me know if I should send it somewhere else.

This I discovered this while trying to upgrade a bunch of images to RAD 2016.  Some of them would work fine.  Some of them would appear to work (no errors reported) but would result in an lvappimg file with a 1kB file size, containing only lvappimage.info.

Digging into the source, I was running it in debug mode (stepping through function by function) and it would always work.  Unpaused, and it would return to sometimes working sometimes not.  Probing error wires, there was an error 8 being thrown by the Copy vi in "rad_Extract Full Image.vi".

Here is a pic of that chunk of code:

image.png

The VI that I circled is Util_App_CreateTempDirectory, which deletes the path given to it and creates a blank folder in it's place.  So what appears to be happening is that the code is copying the file to a folder which is then being deleted in parallel.

Changing the code to this appears to fix it (ignoring poor style):

image.png

Anyone else seeing this?

Message 288 of 324
(2,199 Views)

Hi Folks,

Has anyone had problems where RAD would not work on a laptop or desktop?

RAD works fine on my machine, which also has all the development tools. But we want to use LabVIEW on Technician laptops. They go to the field and may update cRIOs there. These cRIOs may be brand new, or being updated after a previous image is on them.

The problem is that RAD never works on these laptops.

I am wondering if this has to do with the fact that with a brand new 9033 or similar, you must program it through the USB. Is the problem that the USB drivers for the cRIO are required to make this work?

If so, where can we get these drivers and how would we include them in the RAD installer we give to technicians?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 289 of 324
(1,606 Views)

Hi Folks,

I poked into this issue and found that by including the NI CompactRIO Runtime as an additional installer in the installer build, I got an installer that worked on the technician's laptops. This apparently contains the USBLAN driver and I presume other pieces needed to connect to cRIOs over USB.

The RAD website recommends that to get the full feature set, you should have NI-RIO driver and the NI System Configuration to get the full feature set. Although the only thing you supposedly don't get by not installing NI-RIO driver is the ability to distribute FPGA files. It looks like there are other features provided though.

http://www.ni.com/example/30986/en/

Message 290 of 324
(1,592 Views)