Components

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replication and Deployment Utility (RAD)

Hi,

I am using an Adlink NuPRO-965 SBC with Veristand installed.

I had success installing VS2009 with this SBC using 250Gb HD but I getting boot problems with a new 500Gb HD.

This is what I am doing:

1) Using the MAX I created the USB utility;

2) Format and replicate the old system in the new;

3) run the application using USB utility option;

4) the application starts without problems;

5) remove the USB drive;

6) reset the system;

7) got a boot error message;

😎 insert the USB;

9) repeat the steps 3 and 4.

The only difference is the use of entire HD without partitioning but I read somewhere in NI site that is possible to use 1Tb HD so I believe that this is not the problem.

Thanks,

Cláudio H.

CHCastro
0 Kudos
Message 61 of 324
(6,640 Views)

Another alternative to the System Replication VI's is the new NI System Configuration API.

You can get/set images, set the hostname, IP settings, format, reboot into safe-mode, and install/uninstall software components and recommended software sets.  In addition, NI System Configuration API is compatible with the new user and password permissions support that was added in LabVIEW 2010.  You are no longer required to unlock your target before making changes.

-Josh

0 Kudos
Message 62 of 324
(6,611 Views)

Just wanted to share that a new version of the RTAD utility has been posted on DevZone.  The following is a list of its new features:

• FPGA flash deployment
  • Image comparison tool
  • Supports deployment to unconfigured targets
  • Support for all real-time target types
  • Image compatibility verification
  • Updated image versioning
  • Image GUID creation
  • Option to automatically increment static IPs during deployment
  • Bug fixes
  • Smooth Front Panel resizing

Please reply on this page with any feedback or comments.

0 Kudos
Message 63 of 324
(6,219 Views)

I am using the new RTAD v2.1 Utility to replicate my cRIO 9074 w/9144 ethercat extension.  If I enable network updating in the replication process I am finding that everything works correctly

except that the ethercat settings are not preserved.  If I retrieve an image of a working system that has ethercat enabled and then redeploy back to itself, it will disable the ethercat.  All that is needed to fix this is to go into MAX and reenable ethercat so it is not a really big deal but it would be nice to have this done automatically.

0 Kudos
Message 64 of 324
(6,128 Views)

Do the EtherCAT settings work if you don't enable network updating during the replication process?  I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but I believe this is a bug with the way that the "RT Apply Target Disk Image.vi" handles the 'netconf.ini' file.  This file is located in the ni-rt/system/ethernet/ directory on the controller.  Try the deployment process again and see if this file gets modified.  If so, one workaround might be to save a back up of this file with the image, and modify the deployment sequence to FTP this file in addition if found.

If it turns out that the 'netconf.ini' file isn't the problem, you should be able to use the built in Image Comparison Tool to find out which files aren't being deployed properly.

Message 65 of 324
(6,121 Views)

Yes, the deployment works fine if I do not enable network updating.  This is generally what I do in my development phase but in the released version of the system I would need to be able to fully configure a 'clean' cRIO.  I will check out the netconf.ini file and try the workaround.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Message 66 of 324
(6,118 Views)

I have confirmed your theory... the netconf.ini file is being changed by the RTADU.

Here is the before:

[00802F11995D]
MasterID= 0

[00802F119AC0]
MasterID= 0
Mode=EtherCAT

[General]
MACAddresses=00802F119ABF;00802F119AC0;
PrimaryMAC= 00802F119ABF

and here is the after:

[00802F11995D]
MasterID= 0

[00802F119AC0]
MasterID= 0
Mode=Disabled

[General]
MACAddresses=00802F119ABF;00802F119AC0;
PrimaryMAC=00802F119ABF

As you predicted the Mode has been changed to Disabled.  I have verified that I can edit and replace this file via FTP and the cRIO then comes

up running correctly.  I suppose I could go into the RTADU source and add the FTP operation and recompile.

0 Kudos
Message 67 of 324
(6,102 Views)

Thanks for posting your results.  This is a bug in the underlying RT Utilities API used by the RTADU.  It's interesting that this only occurs when applying network settings to the target.  I am curious if this file gets modified during retrieval, during deployment or when configuring the network settings.  As long is it isn't changed during retrieval, fixing it could be as simple as unzipping the original netconf.ini file in the image and FTPing it seperately during the deployment process.

I will definitely look into this further and try to get a fix into the next version.  In the meantime, the FTP solution you mentioned will likely serve as a valid workaround if you want to eliminate the step of opening MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 68 of 324
(6,099 Views)

Hey all,

I'm trying to use the RTAD but I'm getting errors saying that I can't retrieve the configuration of my PXI when I try to retrieve and image, and I either can't connect to the PXI, or I get an error 19 showing up ON the RT Debug screen (Error in m_DataConn.Connect) and the connection just times out.  any suggestions?  I've got two controllers ... i'm debating going back and just wiping one of them completely and starting over ......

0 Kudos
Message 69 of 324
(6,052 Views)

Hello Kent,

When you say that you can't connect to the PXI, do you mean that the target does not show up in the Targets list?  Does the same behavior happen for both controllers?  Unfortunately I don't remember ever seeing the error you have mentioned from your description.  Would it be possible to post a a screenshot of what you are seeing?  Finally if you haven't already, you can probably get more information on what is happening if you download the source code and run it while using the built in LabVIEW debugging tools.

0 Kudos
Message 70 of 324
(6,040 Views)