From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sbRIO9607 Reboot in LabVIEW Real-Time

Hi

I am using MAX 18.5 and sbRIO 9607 with latest firmware . The board would not reboot in LabVIEW Real-Time after adding software in safe mode . MAX attempt to rebbot times out and status LED starts blinking, I have to press and hold the reset bottom < 5 sec to force it reboot in safe mode again.

software : LabVIEW /RT/FPGA 2018; Firmware to 6.5.0f0 ; Compact RIO 18.5 software;NICRIO 1850 device driver 

with the same setting there is no issue with cRIO 9076 and I can reboot in to Real Time , is there any compatibility issues ( Linux RT and Windows 10 ) the might cause that problem or I am missing some steps in the sbRIO set up?

Thanks for the help 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,592 Views)

What do you mean by "adding software" How are you adding the software? The two targets have very different cpu architectures, OSes, etc so there are some differences.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,583 Views)

Sorry for my vague question, I am referring to real time OS software components when sbRIO9607 is set up for the first time, by right clicking on the target in MAX and select "Add/Remove Software" from  the list of recommended components ( I select all)  , when all the software components flashed in to sbRIO9607, MAX automatically try to reboot the board from safe mode to real time OS(Linux), however that attempts times out and the board would not reboot into real time OS(Linux) .

The same steps I used for cRIO 9076 and it would reboot to RT OS(VxWorks). 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,572 Views)

Try doing a format before the install per these instructions:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P9Y3SAK&l=en-US

Also, try doing a minimal install instead of installing everything

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,568 Views)

Thanks for the link I went through the steps , formatted the board and re-install minimal software ( this time only the recommended software) , however the rebooting failure in to Real Time OS still there. here is the snap shot of the setting I have in  MAXmax3.PNG   

I also flash the board with older NI Compaq RIO 2016 with no luck. Is there any back end process in Windows 10 which may block the Linux OS in this case ? I can tell up to the Ethernet connection there is no firewall.  was wondering if you had any similar issues with sbRIO 9607 or other sbRIOs 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,555 Views)

No, I've never had issues with Windows 10 and the ARM Linux LV RT. You might want to check the error logs or check the RS232 console out port. Also, maybe check/upgrade the firmware

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,551 Views)

I ended up going through 60 pages of fine texts in log files ( my eyes still are crossed ) ....linux.PNG there are some warnings and remedies by the RTOS but could not find anything specific why the board would not boot in RT.  I looked in to messages / boot/lastmsg etc.. is there any other locations that might provide some clues?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,543 Views)

I botched the link to the logs in my last post. This was the link I meant to send:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000PAi4SAG&l=en-US

I'm hoping someone from NI pops up in here and can give you some hints. It would probably be useful at this point to try and setup a new PC (or virtual machine) with LabVIEW, RT, and the CRIO drivers and see if you can provision your unit from there. Or, maybe get another 9607 and see if it's just a problem with that unit..

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,533 Views)

Thanks for the link I looked in to it.  The RT error log file in my case does not generated  by MAX , I had to looked in to the board level files through Linux shell. 

I did test with another board which had NI CompacRIO 1600(2016) and it worked. so I revert back the firmware and RT software from 2018 to 2016 on the board that I have booting problem the result was not encouraging ! still could not  re-boot in to LV RT. One possible reason could be missing some RT software component in  the board , other  ( less likely)  reason could be the Linux kernel on the board has been corrupted. I also hope NI  engineers chime in here and win the Kudos 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,531 Views)