Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sbRIO with the new USB CAN device (USB-8502/2)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello NI Community, 

I got a question from a customer about increasing CAN interfaces on sbRIO-96x7 series, especially sbRIO-9627. Is USB-8502/2 compatible with sbRIO-9627 when NI-XNET 16.1 used? According to NI-XNET 16.1 readme, it seems unlikely but I wanted to make sure. If someone has tried testing with this combination, please let me know 🙂 

I know that the following.

1. Using sbRIO-96x7 or sbRIO-96x6, you can use the embedded CAN port with NI-Embedded CAN for RIO driver in NI-RIO.

Related links:

Supported Hardware for NI-Embedded CAN for RIO

How Does the NI-Embedded CAN for RIO Driver Differ from the NI-XNET or NI-CAN Driver? 

2. Using sbRIO-96x7, you can use C series, NI-9860, with a Mezzanine card and NI-XNET 15.0 or above to increase number of CAN ports. 

NI-XNET 15.0 Readme

Since USB-8502/2 is the newest device with NI-XNET 16.1, I was wondering if this device can be used with sbRIO devices. 

Thank you 🙂 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,082 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dragon1

Hi dragon1,

We do not currently support using USB NI-XNET devices (USB-8502 and USB-8506) on Linux RT. We are evaluating similar feedback and I will add your comments to that feedback as well.

The recommended method adding NI-XNET devices to a Single-Board RIO would be using a mezzanine card on a sbRIO-9627 or sbRIO-9607 and the NI 9860, as you mentioned in your post.

Evan See
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,050 Views)

Hi!

I've tried the same thing before.

I used NI-XNET 16.1 to recognize USB-8502.

When you install NI-VISA USB passport on sbRIO-9627, you can see USB-8502 as a USB RAW device.(fig1)

fig1.png

Using NI 986x, you can add C modules by doing "sbRIO > New > C Modules", but there is no option of adding USB devices. So I tried creating a XNET session in project explorer.(fig2)

fig2.png

In the NI XNET session setup, I couldn't select "Interface" in the Hardware Selection tab.(fig3)

fig3.png

I tried to recognize USB-8502 in VI just to be sure but there was no CAN port recognized by sbRIO.(fig4)

fig4.png

Therefore I concluded that we cannot use USB-8502 with sbRIO-9627.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,039 Views)

Evan,

Thank you for your conformation on USB CAN device not working with sbRIOs! I will let my customer know that he needs to use mezzanine card and XNET C modules to increase the CAN port count! 

Just out of curiosity, sbRIO-9637 works with mezzanine card and NI-986x also, right? It seems that sbRIO-9637 is not included in the XNET 16.1 driver readme as supported hardware but I would assume sbRIO-9637 can do what sbRIO-9627 can.  

Best,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,033 Views)

H.Matsuki,

I see that sbRIO cannot recognize USB-8502 as Evan mentioned above. 

Thank you for testing with real hardware and the detailed screenshots!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,030 Views)

The sbRIO-9637 does not support the RIO mezzanine card (RMC), so it does not support adding the NI 9860 (or other modules). Both the sbRIO-9607 and the sbRIO-9627 do support the RIO mezzanine card.

If you would like to add additional CAN to the sbRIO-9637, the best path would be to use the sbRIO-9627 which has similiar I/O functionality plus the RMC.

Evan See
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,024 Views)

>>The sbRIO-9637 does not support the RIO mezzanine card (RMC)

I did not know that! Thanks for the clarification! 

Thank you for your support Evan! 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,999 Views)