From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

real time

Hi, I have two sensors that deliver data at 1000 S/s. They are measuring the relative movement of a rotor when the motor is ON. As the rotor is cylindrical I have to get this data and plot a circle. I did that. The problem is that the vi takes about 7 sec to plot the circle. I need a real time plot to see if the rotor is vibrating a lot and, having a plot every 7 sec., is not ideal. I would like to know if it possible to plot a graph at real-time at this frequency.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,257 Views)
Thomaz,

In general this is possible, so we will need to know more about your specific application to make recommendations. If you look at the attached VI (LV 7.0) we can plot a circle with 1000 points at about 50 Hz (running on a 866 MHZ P2).

Could you provide more information about your application? What version of LV are you using? LV or LV RT? If LV RT, how are your transferring the data from your RT system back to your host for visualization? What information do the two sensors represent? How do you convert this data to represent the circle on your user interface? How many samples from your sensor do you need to update the plot?

Christian L
NI Consulting Services
authored by
Christian L, CLA
Systems Engineering Manager - Automotive and Transportation
NI - Austin, TX

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,257 Views)
Hi again. In my application I have to monitor the rotor of a turbine in a power plant. I have two capacitive sensors that will be attached to the turbine stator. The sensor will measure the air gap of the turbine and, when the turbine is rotating, the rotor vibrates. The sensors will measure this vibration (increases and decreases in the air gap). If you imagine the circular section of the rotor, one sensor will be at the top of the circle (at 90 degrees, for example), and the other will be at 180 degrees (they will be 90 degrees apart).

I am using LabVIEW 6.1 Full Edition. I don�t have LVRT. I am doing the circle like in the vi you sent. The rotor rotates at 163,63 RPM (2,72 rotations per second). My sensor delivers data at 1000 S/s. I would like to
update my graph every second if possible. I am using the "Ai Sample Channel" inside the FOR LOOP, so after a full rotor turn I have an array with 368 (1000/2.72) points.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,257 Views)
Can you be more specific about how you convert the (368) data points into the location of the rotor? Do you calculate one averaged position of the rotor per rotation, or per second, or more frequently. What is the typical frequency of the vibration (displacement of the rotor) that you are plotting?

In an ideal situation without vibration would the air gap for each of the two sensors stay constant? If so then the measure of the air gap is a direct measurement of the displacement of the rotor in the X and Y dimension and you should be able to plot this on your graph at the rate supported by the graph.

In your current implementation, do you know what causes the VI to only plot every 7 seconds?

Christian
authored by
Christian L, CLA
NI - Austin, TX

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,257 Views)
Thomaz,

Thank you for your questions. It would appear that you are looking for an orbit plot, similar to that produced by Bently Nevada's ADRE software. We have this software ready for you in our Order Analysis Toolset for LabVIEW 6.x and up. I have attached a bitmap of a front panel to show you what our orbit plot looks like. I would be happy to further discuss your application, and to assist you with implementation of these orbit plots.

Sincerely,

Preston Johnson
preston.johnson@ni.com
512-683-5444
Preston Johnson
Solutions Manager, Industrial IoT: Condition Monitoring and Predictive Analytics
cbt
512 431 2371
preston.johnson@cbtechinc
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,257 Views)
Thank you again for your time Christian. I will try to explain my problem. My sensors are 90 degrees apart. So in my graph, I suppose that one sensor is for the X axis and the other for the Y axis. If the rotor does not vibrate, I will read from the sensors the value of the Air Gap. For every instant of time that the sensors give me a value, I will have the value of the sensor corresponding to the X and Y axis. For every point, I subtract the value of the Air Gap and add the result with the Radius of the rotor. In this way, for every point I have a new radius (but just for that point). The rotor does not vibrate a lot, so the final plot will look like a circle. If the rotor does not vibrate in a full turn I would have a �pe
rfect� circle. I am sending an image of the plot. The scales of the �real� and �ideal� plot are not the same but the points are correct.
I think that the problem is that getting the data and making all the calculation needed is taking a lot of time.
Sorry if I didn�t make myself clear. I am not American and English is not my natural language.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,257 Views)
Preston,

Yes, I am trying to do that. More specifically, I am doing one similar to the VybroSystM software. I don�t know if you have seen this software. They also have a Polar Plot that I have successfully done. My problem is to have a real time orbit plot. If you have interest I can send you my Orbit Plot vi. Thanks for your attention.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,257 Views)
Hello Thomaz,

Please also see Preston's comments. I talked with him about your application and the order analysis toolkit may be very helpful for you in your application as you move forward.

Looking at your code, the main problem lies with the data acquisition. In your code you use the single point acquisition function AI Sample Channel which includes no timing control. You repeat this function 368 times in the For Loop, but you don't know how fast the loop is running and therefore how fast the samples are being acquired. The 1 ms delay outside the For Loop has no effect on the timing of the For Loop and the timing of your data acquisition.

Instead of the single point functions, you should use the AI Acquir
e Waveforms VI to acquire a set number of samples (368) at a set rate (1000 Hz) from both channels. In this case the timing will be handled by the data acquisition card so that you know that interval between samples is 1 ms. This function will return an array containing all the data points which you can then process using the array manipulation and arithmetic functions. If you plot the raw data from each of the channels on a waveform graph you will likely see a somewhat sinusoidal pattern like the plots on the graphic that Preston showed.

I tried making the changes in LV 7.0 and then saving the VI back to 6.1. Please see attached. The DAQ VI will likely not load/show in 6.1 and you will need to replace it after opening the attached VI.

If you make this change, you will still have a limitation that you don't know where in a revolution of the rotor you start sampling the data. So repeated acquisition sequences will not match each other in regards to this phase offset. Eventually yo
u will want to use a continuous data acquisition operation where the data is acquired without breaks and processed and plotted at the same time.

Christian
authored by
Christian L, CLA
NI - Austin, TX

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,257 Views)
Hello again Christian,

I saw the changes in the VI and I understood the problem. One thing that I will have is a "fasor", so that a pulse signal will be generated every rotor turn, when the �fasor� goes under a specific point in the stator. This way, I will know where I am starting sampling data. I am really grateful for yours and Preston's help. I would like to know how can I get the order analysis toolkit. If I have any other issues I will write to you and Preston. Again, thanks a lot for the help.

Thomaz
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,257 Views)