From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem retrieving the settings for the target

Hello, 

I have got a problem when deploying the target: "Failed to connect to target". 

It all started when I created one of FPGA projects, although I created a very similar one before and it worked as it was supposed to. I got an error "Failed to connect to target" when I wanted to run it. To my surprise, all other projects didn't want to run as well and so they do so far. I cannot run any project.

The cRIO was disconnected when I run Measurement & Automation Explorer. Even though, it's possible to connect with it in Safe Mode. When I do it, I get such a warning: "There was a problem retrieving the settings for the target. For more information go to ni.com/info and enter the Info Code MAXServerUnknownError. Contact National Instruments if the problem persists". As I was told to, I followed the instructions on the website:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/5AF28C1BCBC405FB8625773600677DCA?OpenDocument&metc=max_MAXSer...

Unfortunately, none of them helped. 

I don't know any other way to help it. I'd appreciate some help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,588 Views)

I forgot to add - I run my projects on other computer. The projects that had worked before, worked then as well. But as soon as I run the project that caused failure, the whole situation happened again. All projects stopped working on that other computer as well. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,587 Views)

Hi nw21 and welcome to NI Forums!

If I understood correctly, the issue only happens with one particular project, it theat whenever you deploy that project, you lose connection. In this case the most likely scenario is that the project code causes this. As ou kow, the cRIO as a Real-Time operating system, wich can run tasks in higher priorities than the OS itself. This means that whenever you have a hih priority loop that uses 100% CPU, things like network comunication will starve and result in loss of connection.

Kind regards:

Andrew Valko
National Instruments Hungary
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,560 Views)

Thank you very much for answer. That's a rational explanation.

I have one more question: what should I do in such a situation? I mean when I run a troublesome project and no reset stops it. There has to be a way to step out of it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,558 Views)

Dear nw21,

there are several way of doing just that. You can:

1. Restart the controller in safe mode.
  2. Disable startup application so that it will not run on normal restart
  3. Wrie a piece of code to allow high priority restart in case of connection loss.
  4. Use the FPGA to monitor the RT response.

Kind regards:

Andrew Valko
National Instruments Hungary
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,555 Views)