cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

install driver for specific device/modules from NI RIO drivers

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I, probably, know the answer, but is there any way how to reduce the size of the NI RIO drivers? Or to extract drivers for specific cRIO/module?

I need to create custom installer where all necessary software is installed for the customer.

Thanks for help

Duri

Duri
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,982 Views)

If you're using FPGA mode, you only compile in the drivers for the modules you use.

If you're talking in the larger sense about like stripping out parts of the OS and such, I don't think there's an easy way to do that.

Regarding installation, I think a lot of people use something similar to the RAD tool.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,962 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

We probably did not understand each other.

I have created bitfile, rt exe, which is set up to run as startup, then used RAD tool to download the image. Icreated the host application that connects to the cRIO.

On the other laptop/PC without any LV installation I have to install NI RIO drivers (3.5GB) and the host app (400MB with the run-time)

My question is, whether it is possible to install only what is necessary for my application from NI RIO drivers. It means drivers for cRIO-9063, or just have the smaller size of the drivers necessary for my app.

Duri
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,957 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Duri

I see. Yes, if you compile your host VI, and make and installer for it, assuming you use a modern version of LV, the installer should grab just the things it needs (~900MB) and you should not have to install the RIO drivers separately.

Message 4 of 7
(2,951 Views)

Sorry for late reply.

Yes, you're right, but if I have checked "Automatically select recommended installers" it was not that case. When I unchecked that option and checked "NI CompactRIO Runtime" along with other parts automatically checked, it works as you write and no additional drivers from NI RIO needs to be installed.

Thanks for help.

Duri
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,935 Views)

"automatically select" works for me. It's possible that you've run into a bug. If you can create a new simple VI that uses RIO and a new simple project to reproduce the issue, you might get a CAR and save the rest of us from it.

Selected drivers.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,927 Views)

It does not in LV 2016. Probably NI changed it in the latest versions. Will check 2017 once I get my license.

Thanks for help

Duri
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,887 Views)