From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gzip on cFP & LV Realtime?

I'm collecting data from physical sensors and a CAN/J1939 datalink with a cFP2020 controller.

The data files are getting huge (> 100MegBytes) and makes the file transfer time very long (espically over wireless connections).

Has anyone tried using gzip or similiar software on a cFP2020 w/LV RealTime to compress the saved log files?

Tips on how to do this?

Is there a command line interface that is accessable on the cFP2020 Controller?

Barty
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,954 Views)
I forgot to mentioned -

I plan using the system exec function to call the DOS version of the gzip utility from within LV realtime.

I don't know if the RTOS will work with it.

But, since gzip is open source, I should be able to compile it for the RTOS running on the cFP controller (Pharlap maybe?)?

Comments?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,948 Views)
Hi Barty,
I understand that you are logging a lot of data on your cFP-2020 and that you need to make more space for new data. The best option is to transfer data from the cFP-2020 to external memory on a host computer. Compressing data will simply delay the inevitable shortage of memory space. I will look to see if there is a way to compress data on the cFP, but in the mean time, I think transferring data is the best approach. This document should give you a good start if you're new to datalogging with the cFP-2020.
Getting Started with Datalogging and the FieldPoint RT Modules
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/4312c58b7f45335486256b1a006b2191?OpenDocument

Thanks for contacting NI,
Marcus G.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,932 Views)