From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

digital output/analog input synchronization with PCI-DIO-32HS and 6110E

I'm testing an FPA (focal plane array sensor chip) that needs a bunch of clocks. I'll generate the clocks (which are all synchronized to the main pixel frequency) with a PCI-DIO-32HS, and digitize the input with a 6110E card, connecting the two with the RTSI cable. I'm still studying exactly how to interconnect them. Which would be better, in your opinion: to use the -32HS to drive the 6110E, or the other way around? I was thinking of using pattern mode on the -32HS and then driving the 6110E with the REQ signal, but it could just as well go the other way. The frequency would be around 56kHz.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,126 Views)
You are correct it can go either way and I see no benefit to a particular configuration. I would however, use RTSI bus to trigger the slave card. I have had an occasion that a motor controller, VFD, problem prevented me from using the RTSI bus. Using a high speed optcoupler and a comparator on one of the 32 HS lines solved the problem of isolating the trigger line. (32HS triggered PCI7030 RTCard)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,126 Views)
My intuition would tell me to use the 32HS to drive the 6110 as a slave, but it should work either way.

Most importantly I wanted to mention that it does not sound like you are using a Real-Time based (7030, FieldPoint, or PXI) system. You would get a much larget audience to your questions if asked in the general DAQ group.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,126 Views)