Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

crio 9023 disconnecting as soon as it runs RT vi

I know that similar postings have discussed this but I have tried all their suggestions and still have problems.

A spanking new cRIO-9023 that shows up in MAX alright and stays connected OK until I delpoy ANY code on the Crio  - the TCP/IP connection to the CRIO is lost immediately I deploy/run the VI.  I must reboot the cRIO to get it to connect again or even have to power down and fire it up again.

OK here we go with what I have tried.....

I have tried reformatting and reinstalling software on the cRIO several times but no luck in keeping it connected. I have also resinstalled all the 32bit Labview 2011. Again, no chnage. (how many hours was that!??)

I have previously been able to run RT projects and have the cRIO run VIs measuring tepmeratures with Type K thermocouple using Ni 9211, however it has been tempermental at best and disconnects at times.  Everything is installed on a laptop specifically and uniquely set aside for Labview etc.

I have removed the NI Sync (a known problem) from loading onto the CRIO.

I have tried crossover and normal ethernet cables - new ones out of the boxes and tested on other devices - all OK.

I have tried static IP addresses and DHCP - and set my laptop to fixed IP also. pretty well everything I can think of and the forums suggest.

Computer:
Windows W7 x64
LabVIEW 2011 v11
NI-RIO 4.0
VISA Server 5.1

cRIO:
NI-RIO 4.0
VISA Server 5.1

The computer has AVG anti- virus and firewall installed, but temporarily disabled for troubleshooting - with no effect.

I am getting really fed up with this and spend days fiddling with NI and Labview. . Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try?

Thanks a lot. Ross

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,321 Views)

Hello Ross,

We often see this behavior when the RT target is "full" and doesn't have the CPU resources to manage network I/O.   You can check your target's available/reserved resources in Measurement & Automation Explorer under the target's System Settings tab. Based on your post, it seems like you have tried deploying a simple RT application that does nothing but manipulate the controller's LEDs, but if you have not I would recommend attempting this to determine whether or not the executable is able to start at boot and run continuously.  If that fails, there are a few things we can try, but to start would it be possible for you to provide your project so that I can attempt to reproduce this behavior?

Thanks,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,313 Views)

Thanks for your comments Tom.

The simple VI was to measure temperatures with the NI 9211 as i mentioned - not sure about your comment about only manipluating the controller's LEDs. I did not post the code so don't know how you came to that conclusion?

As I mentioned, the controller was virgin - and had ben reformatted and the s/w reinstalled.  Resources were fine.

The local NI rep came in yesterday, diagnosed the problem on my and his PC and took the hardwear away - the controller is faulty and will be replaced.

Thanks for your assistance.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,310 Views)

Hello Ross,

My previous comment was referring to your note on being unable to deploy any code at all to your cRIO; a common troubleshooting step is to deploy a simple application such as the one described at the top of this forum thread:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/cRIO-Troubleshooting-creation-and-deployment-of-startup/m-p/1956475

This verifies that the target is able to start and continually run a very simple application, even if it is not able to communicate with the host.  I apologize if I misinterpreted your statement about this issue arising when any code was deployed to the cRIO.

I'm glad to hear we were able to help resolve this problem, and don't hesitate to let us know when there is anything we can assist with.  If you ever need to talk to a support engineer directly, feel free to open a service request via ni.com/support or call our customer service or technical support line.

Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,306 Views)