Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

communicating cRIO with PC

I have a comlpex control system. one of the subsystem is cRIO 9014 and another is NI6071E DAQ card. while the cRIO run a standalone programme to control some devices some information of the cRIO needs to be continuousely read by the NI6071E application programme. which mehtod (RS232 or ethernet)  is it better for this purpose?  how fast of the speed? are there some examples of both methods available? many thanks!

Carl
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,629 Views)
I would recommend using ethernet.  Take a look at the simple TCP messaging component, or use shared variables.  You can so event based communication with the TCP messaging component and it is very efficient.  Shared variables are very easy and for many apps work very well.  Not quite as efficient as TCP but you can't beat the simplicity.
SteveA
CLD

-------------------------------------
FPGA/RT/PDA/TP/DSC
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,618 Views)

Thanks so much! Steve, I will try.

Carl

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,597 Views)

Carl,

Here is another link that you might find useful.  This is a very powerful method of communication with your RT.  It is an example of an command base architecture based on the STM tool.

SteveA
CLD

FPGA/RT/PDA/TP/DSC
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,594 Views)

really appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,579 Views)
I recommend shared variables over ethernet. They are fast and easy to use.
---------------------------------
[will work for kudos]
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,573 Views)

Thanks, rex1030 and SteveA!

I am not sure if I use ethernet or shared variables the speed is high enough? I mean, I need to read data frequently (around 15 times / second) from cRIO. Do you think which is better, ethernet or shared variables? by the way, are there some examples for shared variables? Many thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,551 Views)

carsale wrote:

Thanks, rex1030 and SteveA!

I am not sure if I use ethernet or shared variables the speed is high enough? I mean, I need to read data frequently (around 15 times / second) from cRIO. Do you think which is better, ethernet or shared variables? by the way, are there some examples for shared variables? Many thanks! 

shared variables would be plenty fast for that rate.  Ethernet (using the STM component) will take less resources however.

Here is a link on shared variables

SteveA
CLD

FPGA/RT/PDA/TP/DSC
Message 8 of 9
(4,541 Views)
Thanks, SteveA!
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,532 Views)