From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot detect chassis

Simple as that.

My Specs:

NI CRIO 9014

Win7

LabVIEW 2011 w/FPGA 

Using crossover cable to connect to laptop (2m long) . MandA has succesfully detected the controller. I've tried to start a new project w/labview FPGA but message appears saying (paraphrasing) "cannot detect chassis". I've tried the old fashioned way as well (empty project - >new target etc). I've formatted and reinstalled software already. Chassis and its modules are all correctly in place.

thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 27
(5,535 Views)

Hello,

Do you have another chassis that you can try with your controller?

Have you ever been able to detect the chassis in the system?

Have you reformatted the controller (9014) and reinstalled software?

Have you ever hot swapped the chassis (pulled the chassis from the controller while power was being applied. Please do not do this if you have not).

Have you tried to unplugged the chassis from the controller to ensure a good connection between the controller and the backplane? (this should be done with power off to the controller)

What version of NI RIO are you using?

What chassis are you using?

Does your host computer have a static IP address? This is recommended when connected via a cross over cable.

Do you have your wireless card turned off when making the connection?

Can you try turning your firewall off if it is not already off?

There could be a lot of reasons your chassis is not detected so I think the best way to go about troubleshooting is to first identify if there were any changes or if any event happened to cause the system not to work. If there was not then move on to making sure that the physical connection between the chassis and the controller has been double/tripple checked and that all screws are tightened. Then you should move on to any software and network issues that may exist. Reformat the controller and reinstall software. Make sure you laptop is set to have a static IP address and has it's wireless card turned off. Make sure the firewalls are off (just temporarily during testing). If you have another chassis or controller (try the chassis on the known good controller and the controller on a known good (detected) chassis).

National Instruments
RIO Embedded Hardware PSE

CompactRIO Developers Guide
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 27
(5,511 Views)

-I do not have another chasis.

-The system has been succesfully used a while ago. 

-I have reformatted and installed software.

-It is possible that there has been hot swapping when not under my supervision. Still, I do not believe that this ocurred more than a couple of times, neither of them being during use, only when power was applied. Actually, I'm pretty sure it was one module, not the chassis being hot swapped.

- I haven't unplugged the chassis from the controller.

-Using NI-RIO 4.0

-It is an 8 slot chassis, I am not sure what model. Will check Monday.

-I have a static IP adress.  

- I've tried turning my wireless card off already, with no success.

- My firewall has been activated the whole time but the NI processes have been marked as exceptions. I will try turning it completely off.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 27
(5,507 Views)

Well I've tried editing my post but aparently there's a time limit. Anyway, I followed all of this before starting this thread  : guide 

I wasn't able to configure Default gateway: 0.0.0.0 in the host pc. Windows doesn't allow the first three digits to be zero, I replaced them for 1 (ie 1.0.0.0). What should I do here? my knowledge in networks is limited. I've figured if the controller was succesfully detected the problem would be elsewhere.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27
(5,505 Views)

Hello,

Some things to verify and get screenshots of.

-Do you have the LabVIEW Real Time module for LabVIEW 2011?

-Can you take a sceenshot of the 9014 in MAX with the software tree expanded and the Network setting tab selected. See my attached screenshot for what I'm looking for.

-Can you take a screenshot of exactly what error you get when trying to add the 9014 to your empty project. Here's an article on setting up a cRIO project, so were on the same page.

Regards,

Danny F

Danny Funk -- Senior Group Manager -- Software R&D -- NI
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27
(5,404 Views)

Yes I have the RT Module for Labview 2011. I've attached the error I get when I try to start a project w/ labview FPGA and the screenshot you've requested.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27
(5,375 Views)

Is the subnet mask of your computer the same as the subnet mask assigned to your cRIO?

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27
(5,362 Views)

Yes, I'm pretty sure of it.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27
(5,357 Views)

Which chassis are you using? Has the chassis ever been detected with LV 2011 software on the controller?

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27
(5,340 Views)

Chassis : cRIO 9104

First time being used with LV2011,  has never detected the chassis with this software version in it.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27
(5,336 Views)