Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I do it with PCI-6052E DAQ card?

Hi,
I am performing a 8-channel(analog input)and 2-channel(analog output)triggered simultaneous AI-AO using PCI-6052E card.
My program had AI Confing, AI Start, AI CLear, AO Config and AO Clear VIs inside a while loop.I was told that since I was using software trigerred approach it would miss some pulse triggers.I was told to go for the following approach:

"The best way to go about that is to have a hardware timed system controlling the trigger pulses. To accomplish that, you will need to use both general purpose counters of your DAQ board."

"You will have the first counter configured as retriggerable pulse generation and the second counter as pulse train generation. Then, you connect the external trigger pulse to the first c
ounter gate, and its output to the second counter gate.
The you can use the second counter output as the AI Start Scan and AO Update pulses.

That will give you a trully hardware timed operation."

I did not understand how to do this.I have two counter output pins but I don't know how to connect the external trigger pulse to the first counter gate, and its output to the second counter gate.
As of now I am connecting the trigger pulse to PFIO pin.

urgent help needed.

thanks,
-shiv
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,061 Views)
Shiv;

You need to connect the external trigger pulse to the gate pin of the first counter (see DAQ board Users Manual for pinout information), select the gate of the second counter to be "other counter output" (that will internally route the output of the first counter to the gate pin of the second counter), and use the Route Signal.vi, in case you are using Labview, or the Select Signal function, in case you are doing NI-DAQ function calls, to route the second counter output to one of the RTSI lines.

Then, on the Analog Input and Output tasks, you just need to configure both the AI Start Scan and the AO Update signals to be the same RTSI line that you routed the second counter output to.

Hope this helps.
Filipe A.
Applications Engineer
National Instrum
ents
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,061 Views)