Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRio9081: How to control the crio bus without a c-series module?

Hi,

we use the crio system 9081 with some c-series modules 9402. The problem is that for our application the modules are still to slow (30-70ns delay).

So the question is how to use the bus connection without the c-series modules?

I think there is a direct connection to the fpga so it would be faster.

Best regards

Adam

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,496 Views)

Hello Adam,

by coincidence, I am in charge of this forum request now - we had a phone call yesterday about this topic.

So I am afraid I can just repeat my mail from this morning 😉

If you like to use the cRIO chassis in any way without NI's c series modules, you will have to make your own. Therefore you can buy the NI cRIO-9951 CompactRIO Module Development Kit.

Here is the link:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/de/nid/14548

This Kit contains the information and software you need to develop your own c series modules, if the existing ones can not perform as you wish.

There is no other supported way to access these ports and you will never get the definition of the pins from any NI colleague, since it is confidential information.

I am sorry I can not tell you more,

have a nice day!

Christopher W.
Intern Application Engineering | NI Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer (CLAD) | NI Germany
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,476 Views)

@Chris13 wrote:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/de/nid/14548

The bad side w/ that is the NDA - you'll have to keep everything as secret as nuclear launch keys.

We would be interested in the information on the sw side - to develop our own kernel drivers (from lowlevel backplane link to sensor readout via iio). Obviously, they would be GPL, which in turn would require us to break NDA. No way. 

For now it seems there're only proprietary drivers, which, of course, are completely usable for any serious application. 

So, unusable product, won't buy it.

Interestingly, NI could easily develop proper iio drivers (or hire an kernel expert for that) for the price of maybe 10 avg. units. The fact that they didn't already do that, sends a clear message: they neither want Linux users as customer, no give anything back to the community, just use the work of others for their own profit (pretty asocial).

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,456 Views)