Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRio USB Speed Problem

Hello,

i currently have a problem with copying files to a USB-Stick connected to a NI 9024.

I am copying files from the internal memory of the cRio (c:\Data) to the USB-Stick (u:\Data). It works, but the speed is very slow (about 1Mb/s).

I tried different USB-Sticks (all USB 2.0, FAT32), rebooted the cRIO and so on but no improvement.

Can anybody help?

Regards

Gerd Striegler

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,821 Views)

Hello, 

Thank for posting your question in the forum.

It is not a problem, the file will be transferring from the cRIO to the USB at USB 1.0 speeds, which is pretty slow (aprox. 1.5 Mbps, which is what you are seeing).

I hope this answer your question.

Have a nice day

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,792 Views)

Hi,

you are right this seems to be USB 1.0 speed. But NI says the cRIO 9024 supports USB Hi-Speed.

The USB-Sticks I tested all had faster data rates when using them with a laptop. So the problem must be on the cRIO side.

The speed of 1.5 MByte/s is not enough for our application. We are sampling at high data rates and aquire about 5MByte/s which have to moved to an external hard drive or USB-Stick.

Gerd

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,781 Views)

Hi Gerd:

I am doing some additional investigation to this problem and wanted to get a few more details from you.

1. When you're seeing the 1.5 MB/s transfer rate on your cRIO, is this using LabVIEW File I/O functions or is this over FTP?
  2. If it's using LabVIEW functions, would you mind sharing how it's currently setup? I'd be interested to see if there are any recommendations we can make to speed it up.
  3. How are you measuring the transfer rate on your Windows machine? Are you looking at the transfer rate shown by the typical Windows file transfer window?
  4. I'm assuming your USB stick is formatted to FAT32 but can you confirm this?

Again, I'm trying some things out on my side and working with one of the developers so I will post back once I have some further information. If you can provide some details on your setup, I can hopefully tailor my answer more specifically to your application.

Alex Person
NI-RIO Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,731 Views)