From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO program works only when hooked to computer.

I have a program that is being run on a cRIO 9033 however for some reason it only works when the system is connected to the dev computer. The program is looking at some digital inputs and then activating outputs depending on those. All the variables and programs are located on the cRIO in the program tree and the VI shows up on the screen for the cRIO when I start the system disconnected from the computer but it is not registering any of the inputs. if I reconnect it to my dev computer and restart the cRIO the program works perfectly and if you unplug it from the computer it will continue to work but the moment you restart it and the system boots up disconnected from the computer it will cease to register any inputs. 

on a side note my system is utilizing a 5'' display hooked directly to the cRIO and I am trying to find a way to increase the font size. I can increase the size on the front panel on my dev computer but when it gets deployed over to the cRIO it reverts to the 15pt font.

Thanks,

Larry Duepner

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,153 Views)

Did you build the application for the cRIO?  Did you deploy it and set to run at startup?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,152 Views)

yes the application was built for the cRIO and was deployed and set as a run on start up. when the system boots up disconnected from the computer the front panel of the VI is displayed and I can switch between the two tabs but none of the inputs works (and most likely the outputs either but can't test without the inputs). if I boot it up when connected to the computer the VI starts up just the same but the inputs and outputs function properly and continue to function even after you disconnect the computer until you restart the system again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,131 Views)

I think you are going to have to share some code.  Nothing obvious is jumping out.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,119 Views)

Unfortunately I am unable to share the code in questions, my plan is to remake the program in another project from scratch to insure that I did not just click a setting somewhere that is causing the problem. if you can think of a possible reason in the meantime I am all ears.

on the side note do you have any advice on how to get my front panel text on the cRIO display to be larger?

Thanks, 

Larry Duepner

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,099 Views)

Found out the cause. the FPGA was booting from the computer not the cRIO so it would only work if it was booting while hooked up to the computer but did not matter if it stayed connect to the computer.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,075 Views)