From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO memory usage issues after LV upgrade

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm having available memory issues on code than ran fine on a cRIO-9014 using LV 2011.

After migration to LV 2018 I'm noticing strange behavior of the available memory.

I have the same code (using conditional disable structures) running as rtexe on 9014s and 9053s. Both system types display a gradual decline of available memory, where we didn't have that problem with 9014s running LV 2011.

The screenshot also displays another issue related to available memory, while top (Putty) shows about 393MB free memory the LV API shows 0kB, hence the very large free percentage (which is visible, divide by zero).

How can code that had no memory issues on 9014s running LV 2011 develop them with significant code changes (only changes required to have the same code run on 9014s and 9053s)? (LV 2018 is the only LV version both controller have in common).

memory screenshot.PNG 

SW install 9053:

9053 sw.PNG

SW install 9014:

Not directly available

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,936 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author andre.buurman@carya

Hey Andre, there's some information out there regarding NI Linux RT and memory reporting:

Just in case you haven't found them yet. Maybe one of those links helps you narrow down the root cause.

J.

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
HSE Discord Server (Discuss our free and commercial tools and services)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)

Message 2 of 3
(1,922 Views)

Hi Joerg,

Thanks for pointing me to these docs.

They shed light on the right resource to track actual memory usage of lvrt and that the LV API doesn't do a good job (better remove it than having something reporting wrong info 😉

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,886 Views)