Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO independent power supply ?

Hi, 

I wanted to know how "solid" is the cRIO internal power regulation. I'm using the cRIO-9012 with NI 9505 modules witch are using their own power supply. I usually like to separate DC motor power supplies and controller power supply for better noise immunity. But now I’m facing the problem of having to cut cost and am thinking of using just one 24VDC power supply for the cRIO and the motors. Do you see any problems in doing so.

thanks 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,497 Views)

Hi MikeLaw,

The CompactRIO you have can operate in a range of 9 - 35V so as long as you do not exceed the current rating of your power supply (considering motors and cRIO) you should not have any problems.

Eli S.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,479 Views)

MikeLaw, here is a related thread where someone is running into problems with a cRIO when a motor nearby is started/stopped.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=280&message.id=4211&query.id=42043

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,473 Views)
Thanks But I think the motors he's using are bigger than mine. I'm driving 24VDC 83W motors. My only concern was with voltage spikes and/or sag and the effect on the cRIO if using the same 24VDC supply for cRIO and motors.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,469 Views)

The only other thing I can add is that I have shared the power suppy of one cRIO Controller with other cRIO controllers as well as with some modules that require external power (digital modules) and haven't run into problems.  Hope somebody out there has already tried what you want to do and can provide some input.

I guess as Eli_S said, if your power supply can keep up with the load you should be fine.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,462 Views)