Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO auto run host VI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I'm using a cRIO (9012+9102) with LV 8.5, building an embedded control and data aq project for a hybrid race car.  I'd like to be able to run this stand alone without an attached PC.  I've had my FPGA running just fine on its own, download the bitfile, autoload on power up and all that, and the FPGA code executes just fine without a computer attached.  Now though, I've got a Host VI on my controller that records data onto a USB key.  I'm struggling to figure out how to get the host VI to run automatically just like the FPGA does, and I'm starting to feel like that's because you can't do this!

I can see under the host VI properties (right click the host VI>Properties) there's an Execution Category, where I have the option to select "Run when opened".  That's great, but is there a setting somewhere to "Open" the VI whenever the cRIO is powered up?  I've got a digital switch built in to turn recording to my USB key on and off, so I can interrupt the write to file before I remove the key.

Thanks for your help, I'm probably missing something pretty basic, but I've searched all over with all the key words I can think of.

Jeff 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(9,541 Views)
i get the feeling that this will just be a situation of me not knowing the right words to search, people must do this sort of thing all the time!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(9,539 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff MHRT

The recommended way to create an application, which starts when a LabVIEW Real-Time target boots, is to build it into an executable and set it as startup. You can do this by building the executable for the real-time VI, right-clicking on the VI and choosing "set as startup" and then deploy it. But, you can now configure startup VIs as well although I think creating an executable is much faster and the right way to do it:

Configuring Startup VIs on LabVIEW Real-Time Targets
Startup VIs vs Startup Executables on a Real-Time Operating System

Message Edited by Adnan Z on 01-09-2009 08:17 AM
Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
Message 3 of 6
(9,533 Views)
thanks a lot for your help!   This is exactly what I wanted to do and it's working as I had hoped.  (Going with the Startup VI's though, it seems to do the job.)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(9,446 Views)

Hello,

I would like to know if there has been any new developments in the last 2 years in this topic. I am currently using Labview 2011 and I have an application running in a cRIO target and a host application running in my PC. Normally, I have to run the cRIO application and then run the PC application. I would like to know if there is a way to run/start the cRIO application from the PC one. That is, that when I run the PC.vi it starts the cRIO.vi in the cRIO target. 

I am permanently changing both the cRIO and PC softwares, so making an executable each time doesn't seem very practical.

Thanks,

Pablo Estevez

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(8,315 Views)

Hello Pablo,

If you are going to be doing a great deal of modifications and you do not wish to rebuild executables each time I would suggest creating one "shell" executable that is set to autostart and then calls the other VI's that you are working on Real Time side to run. I would also encourage you to take a look at the dialog in: http://forums.ni.com/t5/Real-Time-Measurement-and/Run-code-on-host-PC-RT-target-and-FPGA/m-p/1058339... as there are some posts that might be helpful in further clarifying how to force a RT vi to run from the PC host application level.

Best,

Blayne Kettlewell

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(8,293 Views)