Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO application requirements

Hi, I developed an application for cRIO-9053. It consists of real-time part, which is loaded in cRIO and controlling application in PC. I tried to use the application on another PC without all the software which is required for cRIO programming (LabVIEW, FPGA...), with only 2018 LabVIEW run-time. My understanding was that whilst i needed all the required software for development, I will only need run-time engine for application, if the real-time code is already loaded in cRIO. However, I cannot communicate with cRIO device, therefore I suppose that my assumption was wrong. I would like to ask, what are the software requirements for PC, which attempts to connect to cRIO device using application, where the communication between PC and cRIO is handled through network streams.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,147 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,090 Views)

...or maybe this, which explains how to build an executable (.exe) from your source code so you can run your application on PCs that do not have the whole development environment installed?

Distributing Applications with the LabVIEW Application Builder

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
HSE Discord Server (Discuss our free and commercial tools and services)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,082 Views)

I believe neither is exactly what I am looking for. During development, I created my Real-time code and set it to run at cRIO startup, meaning it loads whenever I reset cRIO from cRIO´s internal memory, therefore I shouldn´t need to deploy it again. Regarding application distribution - I already created distribution, but I am not sure, what drivers (If any) cRIO needs to communicate with PC if it already has Real-time code deployed. I found several sources like this http://www.ni.com/getting-started/install-software/compactrio but there are only requirements for development PC, not for the one where I deploy application. I guess I am making some simple mistake, but still havent found which 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,043 Views)

What do you mean by "communicate with PC". Does your cRIO app use TCP? If so, you don't need anything installed on the PC. If your cRIO app uses network streams, you need to make sure that's installed on the cRIO and you need the LabVIEW runtime engine installed on your PC.

General network debug:

• Make sure you can ping the RIO
  • Try turning all firewalls off temporarily
  • If you have MAX and crio drivers installed on the PC, make sure you can see the crio from MAX

Have you checked your logs: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000PAi4SAG&l=en-US

Also viewing the console could give you hints: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000PAi4SAG&l=en-US

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,032 Views)

Do you have a way to tell if your cRIO application is running without issues? like a blinking user LED or something when your application is running?

Have you tested the network stream part with development PC? 

From MAX check if you have installed Network I/O >> Network Streams in cRIO

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,974 Views)