From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO System Replication Tools (Set Target Image.vi) error when using RIO 3.4

I've been using the cRio System Replication Tools to deploy images to cRIO-9012.  Due to the new revision (Rev G) of cRIO-9012 I had to upgrade from RIO 2.4.0 to a more recent version as 2.4.0 is no longer compatible. I ended up picking the most recent, RIO 3.4.0. 

When I try to deply the image (using System Replication.llb\SetTarget Image.vi) now I get an error 42, when it is getting close to have uploaded all the files:

Error 42 occurred at Reboot:unknown error

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  Generic error.

Anyone else know of compatiblity issues of replication tools when using newer RIO sw versions?  I'm still using LV 8.5.1, maybe the tools that come with new versions of LV work better with this RIO version?  I've read the newer replication/deployment tools have improved. I may try to use an older RIO version for the time being to see if I have more success...

Rob
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,672 Views)

Hello Robdevyogi,

I have done some research on this error and I haven't found anyone who has experienced this. Which version of the system replication tools are you using, the 7.x or 8.x version? Also from your post, it seems that you are deploying this to multiple cRIOs. Does several cRIO-9012 produce this error?

Also if you are thinking about downgrading the driver, I would suggest downgrading to RIO 3.3.1 to test this out.

I hope this information helps.

Jim St
National Instruments
RF Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,660 Views)

Hi Jim,

The replication tools file I used to install is the latest one, I think the file archive is: RTSystemReplication8x.zip.

Yes, I will be deploying to multiple cRIOs.  Currently I'm testing using RIO v3.4 on a cRIO-9012 Rev D.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,657 Views)

Hello Robdevyogi,

I did some more research on this and I have a few more questions to ask you about this. First did you create a new image for the later version of the driver? I have found other customers running into issues with this when they haven't updated the image for this. Also since you are using LabVIEW 8.5.1, I would use the RTSystemReplication8x.zip for placing the image file on the 9012s.

If this didn't seem to fix this issue, is there a executable running on this 9012? I have found this knowledgebase about this explaining that when a executable is running, it will prevent the image process from happenning.

Jim St
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,625 Views)

Hi Jim,

The steps I followed were:

1. Format the cRIO-9012

2. Load the new RIO drivers 3.4.0

3. Connect to the cRIO from the project

4. Rebuild the RT host software

5. Deploy the RT host software

6. Create image 

Creating the image works fine, it's just writing it back to another cRIO that gives the error I noted. The RTSystemReplication VIs I use for carrying out creation and deployment of images is the code that was released in 2006, I don't see anything more recent (except for this article, which is only two VIs for downloading bit file and setting device settings).

Yes, I did use the RTSystemReplication8x.zip fileI'm trying to install the RIO 3.1.1 drivers on my PC, but the installer gets stuck trying to install the first sub package in the installer so I didn't get far trying that suggestion.  (The 3.4.0 installer had no problems).

(I didn't have any luck accessing the link you sent, but maybe there is some server main't going on right now.)
Message Edited by robdevyogi on 06-15-2010 02:31 PM
Rob
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,598 Views)

Hello robdevyogi,

Sorry about that link. I linked it to the internal site intead of the public one. Here is the correct one.

In order for me to get a better understanding of your system and the problem, I have some questions and things we can try to figure out this problem.

1.) Is the cRIO that you are deploying the image is it a 9012 as well? If it is, I would like to deploy this image to the same type of hardware because this could be the cause of the problem.

2.) Is there an executable running on the cRIO that we are deploying to? If there is, let's turn that off because this could cause this problem and possibly corrupt the image you are deploying to it.

3.) Is this cRIO on the same network as your computer you are deploying the image to? If it isn't, there could be certain network restrictions preventing the image tobe applied to the cRIO.

4.) If none of these lead to a solution, let's try to ping and ftp to the cRIO. This will verify that the connection to the cRIO is working and not preventing data from being transfered.

As for reverting to another version of the driver, you have completely uninstalled the RIO 3.4 driver and you can't install the older version of the driver on your machine? Also I would suggest to install the RIO 3.3.1 driver instead of the RIO 3.1.1 driver. I have provided the link in a post above.

I hope this information helps you.

Jim St
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,565 Views)

Hi Jim,

1) I only have cRIO-9012.  By the way I'm still using Rev D for testing.

2) The error happens after the crio files have been deleted and while the new files are being written to the crio. My setup is OK according to the two conditions in the document (no hi priority tasks running, and no data written to disk)

3) Yes, same subnet and no firewall running

4) This works fine

I tried a few other tests with respect to version 2.40 vs v 3.4.0.  It seems it matters what the current version of the cRIO is before deploying a new image. 

The following test cases were run from a PC with RIO 2.4.0 still installed and an executable that deploys the complete image to a cRIO-9012.  Here I have two unique images which were originally created from cRIO with RIO V 2.4.0 and one from a crio with V 3.4.0.

* Installing an image with 2.4.0 onto 2.4.0 deploys OK

* Installing an image with 3.4.0 onto 2.4.0 deploys OK

* Installing an image with 2.4.0 onto 3.4.0 FAILS  (error 42)

* Installing an image with 3.4.0 onto 3.4.0 FAILS  (error 42 or 56) (note: Error 56 is a known error which happens if one tries to deploy an image with more than 120(?) files if I remember correctly).

Would it be an idea to try going back to RIO V2.4.1 as it is the version with least changes from 2.4.0 while still being compatible with Rev G/H?

Regards,

Rob
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,559 Views)

Hello Robdevyogi,

Thanks for posting this information. From the tests you have done, I would agree that it has something to do with the driver. I would suggest to use the 3.3.1 driver instead of the 2.4.1 because several of my colleagues had success with this one.

If this still causing a problem, could you post a picture of your project showing the entire heirarchy? Thanks.

Jim St
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,538 Views)

Hi Jim,

I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to LV2009 and use the RIO create image/deploy tools that are now included. So far they seem to work fine according to some preliminary testing. Though, my previous images (created with RIO System Replication tools) are no longer compatible, but hopefully I won't need to roll back to those.

I also noticed that a PC running RIO 2.4.0 was not able to access the shared variables on a cRIO running RIO 3.4.0, I was surprised, I thought they would be backward/forward compatible.

Thanks for your suggestions...

Rob
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,522 Views)