Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO-9012 software error

Solved!
Go to solution

I keep getting a software error after formatting a cRIO-9012.

I'm using NIMAX 18.0

1.0 I first set Safemode on and restart.  It enters safe mode ok.

2.0 I Format the cRIO-9012 through NIMAX which reports successfully formating the cRIO.

3.0 I turn safemode off and restart to enter realtime.

After step 3 the status light either blinks twice meaning a software error, or it blinks 4 times meaning it's crashed twice between reboots.

Is NIMAX 18.0 not compatible with the cRIO-9012, What else could be the problem?

Using the same Windows host and network location I've been able to work with a cRIO-9025 without problems.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,996 Views)

Hi lost_he,

The 18.0 software stack claims support for the cRIO-9012, so you should be OK there. Can you turn on console out, capture the serial log, and post it here? These logs normally hold useful clues about what is happening.

Here's how to use console out in general.

Details about the cRIO-9012's serial port and DIP switches are in the manual.

Another thought - what are the details about the last software set you installed on this cRIO-9012 (what and when)?

Andrew T.
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" - Robert Hunter
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,985 Views)

OK, I've attached the console log.

After opening the log I set the safemode switch on and started the crio.  Then I used NIMAX to format the crio.  Then I set the safemode switch off and rebooted the crio.

It looks like it's missing vxworks for some reason.

Another person was using the cRIO 6012 so I'm not familiar with what was previously installed.  But it looks like it had EPIC I/O server software.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,975 Views)

Looked at the log, and this looks like the offender:

Cannot open "/c/ni-rt/system/vxWorks".

Error loading file: errno = 0xd40005.

I searched internally and most other cases with this ended in an RMA. However, there is the slight possibility that the software on the host PC is corrupted. You mentioned being able to install to a cRIO-902x without issue, which lends doubt to this. However, I believe the cRIO-9012 pulls different files from the host PC during install than the cRIO-902x, so I recommend first trying a force reinstall of the CompactRIO driver. After this is done, format and then reinstall the cRIO-9012. If this results in the same behavior, I recommend calling Support and referencing this thread to inquire about an RMA.

Andrew T.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,969 Views)

It turned out that the reason it couldn't find vxworks was that FPGA2018 didn't get installed when NI-Update upgrade labview to 2018.  I've installed that now.

I also did a forced reinstall of the 2018 device drivers.

I still have a problem with it crashing.

I formatted the cRIO 2012 in safe mode.

I installed the software as shown in the max_report.

I switched safemode off and restarted.

The results are shown in the putty.log.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,926 Views)

Sorry, I've attached the correct report.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,923 Views)

One last try.  I kept finding an old report.  This is the correct one.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,921 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lost_he

The last issue turned out to be a memory limitation.  The 9012 is severely limited and can only run the basic suggested software.  Things like network streams are not available.

A custom install will probably be necessary to trim the fat if I want to use it with epics.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,904 Views)

Hey lost_he,

I believe you're right on that point. The cRIO-9012 is one of our older controllers (I think it's the oldest one supported by CompactRIO 18.0; I found the Product Announcement from when it was released - dated Nov. 2006!). About a year ago we listed limited storage space on some of these older controllers as an issue we're aware of. I'm not sure if there's a set of software small enough that would let you install enough to support EPICs. You could also talk with your Sales Engineer about some of the newer controllers we have created which do offer more memory.

Andrew T.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,840 Views)