Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cDAQ-9133 Graphics causing slowdown and hangups?

We have a pressure test stand and are using the cDAQ-9133 Real-Time. The cDAQ is freezing at times and slowing down at times. We are collecting about 25 data points every 100mS. I seem to remember that the graphics capabilities of the Real-Time controllers can be overwhelmed, so I am looking for some insight.

The embedded VI has 11 tabs and probably one hundred (100) Numeric Displays and Entries. Three of the tabs have two graphs each. We are also writing to 11 shared variables that are arrays containing maybe 16 data points.

Any ideas as to whether its the graphics causing the issue?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,902 Views)

Hi,

It is definitely possible that it is the graphics that are slowing things down. If the problem gets worse when you move your mouse around the screen, that's a good indicator that graphics are the problem. I would suggest trying to defer panel updates and see if that improves performance.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvprop/pnl_defer_pnl_updts/

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,879 Views)

Thanks. We will give it a try.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,877 Views)

We are having trouble wrapping our heads around the defer panel updates routine. Our data collection lasts for a week. While we do not need to refresh our graphs and indicators every 100ms, we do need to see them. Therefore when we turn on the panel update, we will still have a slow down during that particular loop execution. Is that right?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,840 Views)

If the root cause is indeed related to graphical updates then yes it will still slow down temporarily. This may or may not be an issue depending how much it slows things down.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,826 Views)