Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a suitable data logger

Hi! I'm new to this forum so sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place, please just gently direct me elsewhere. I'm trying to build a data logger that can measure strain gauge signals. The data logger will be used outside and will not be connected to a computer. The following are some approximate specs:

•  A sampling rate of at least 2kHz per channel

• As many channels as possible (in total I’d be using at least 8 but ideally more, like 24). It may be the case that I use more than one data logger for this. It is somewhat preferable to have all the channels on one device but not necessary.

• 10-bit resolution (or more)

• Able to sample continuously for at least 5 minutes

A gain of at least 100 would be nice, although external amplifying circuits can be applied if necessary. Obviously the cheaper the set-up the better. I've seen someone doing something similar use an old NI-cRIO-9076 with NI 9235/6 modules. Are there alternatives? the setup looked quite big compared to the size I was hoping for. Also, the less learning required to operate it the better as the main part of my research is analysing the data, not figuring out how the data logger works.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,149 Views)

Hello

What NI Software or Hardware are you using?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,105 Views)

Hi, thanks for asking.

I'm looking to buy data logging equipment, so I'm asking for suggestions. I'm just looking for suitable data logging equipment. I think I have access to the software through my university so I probably don't need to worry about that. If you think NI options aren't suitable, I'm happy to listen to alternatives (if the forum allows posting about such items). Specs I'm looking for are in the original post.

Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,101 Views)

Hello again!

Okay, I got you😉

As a cheap solution, you can take a look on multifunctional I/O usb devices.

Check this list and notice that there is also PCIe solutions.

At the bottom of list, there is USB solutions which I can see is suitable for you 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,089 Views)

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Do you mean something like this: https://www.ni.com/sic/configurator/configure.action?sfId=NI&wcs_l=en-gb&wcs_k=multifunction-io-devi... ? (datasheet: https://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374113c.pdf).

If so, I believe that it must be connected to a laptop to operate, is this correct? If so, it is unfortunately not suitable for my project as it must be able to record data when away from the computer.

If it is the case it must be connected to a laptop, do you have any alternative suggestions? Your help is much appreciated 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,087 Views)

You can use somthing like sbrio eval kit with sb9637.

It have onboard 16 16bit (+-10V) single ended ADC channels (overal 200kSPS) and can send data by ethernet or write on SDcard/USB flash.

If you whant more channels - you can connect to sb9637 any SPI/I2C or RS232/485 extenal adc. For example numerous ADS1256 boards from aliexpress. As I understand you can create separate SPI interfaces for each SPI device if one bus can not supply required speed.

You need scribe FPGA driver on labview FPGA (see Examples in Labview), collect data and push it into FIFO with "time value".  Fetch FIFO in LV rea time level an write it into SD/USB as binary or text file (for example) and/or simultaneously public this data to shared variable and take this data into Windows UI user application.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,073 Views)

You can also have that devices in combination with raspberry pie or something like that

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,057 Views)