From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the number of available watchdog timers in cRIO 9063

Hi all,

Hope any of you can help answer this question?

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370622N-01/lvrtconcepts/rt_watchdog/

The help text reference above mentions the use of multiple watchdog objects in parallel, but also states in the last paragraph "However, because RT targets typically contain only one hardware watchdog timer, you can use only one watchdog object at a time.".

What is available in a cRIO 9063?

Is there any use in that target to initialise multiple objects in parallel?

Kind regards,

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,283 Views)

Hi Andre,

Is there a reason you're looking at having two watchdog timers on one RT target?

Generally, you're using a watchdog timer to check if a target has become unresponsive, in which case a single watchdog should be all that is necessary for most applications.

Kind Regards,

Jack

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,248 Views)

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your response.

The idea was to have a watchdog timer in a suspected critical area and a second at a global level.

I just don't get why this is not written somewhere. The help talks about the possibility of configuring multiple watchdogs, but make a reservation that not all system would support it. That make me curious to how many watchdog timers I can instantiate on a cRIO and what would happen if I instantiate multiple watchdog timers and I only have one available...

All in all I just want to know were to find the exact numbers. And just to mention it, the systems cannot be reached remotely and are onboard a train that runs through the country. So at this moment debugging and trial and error are not really an option, that's why I want to know these things in order to prepare an update as good as I can before visiting the systems. 

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,245 Views)