Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to store data on a network hard drive using CompactRIO RTOS and Labvew Real time?

HI!

I'm starting a project in which I have a low rate stream of data to read in a real time environment. I should store these data on a network hard disk without any PC with standard OS, I just have CompactRIO RTOS. How can I send this data to the network drive? Is it possible to just “write” data like I do for a standard file in LabView?

Thanks for any help!!

Il Conte
dr. Valentino Tontodonato
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,381 Views)
Il Conte,
you have to keep in mind that normally the RT OS does not map drives other than the Compact Flash that it has onboard (C:\). There are exceptions such as
-cFP-20xx which may have additional Flash Drives which can be addressed as D:\ Drive
-CVS systems with IEEE-1394 interface can write/read to Firewire external Harddrives
-PXI Controllers booted from a Floppy disk may map the floppy drive as A:\

One solution to your needings may be to write data to files locally on your onboard CompactFlash and then transfer these files to a network location using FTP, provided the network drive you are pointing to supports FTP.
Let us know if you need any more help with this,

AlessioD
National Instruments
Message 2 of 4
(3,367 Views)
Thanks for your answer.

I'm gonna using a CompactRIO 9002 and Labview RealTime.

How can I try this "FTP" solution programmatically from the
RT OS, there are any FTP client for Labview RealTime?

The system I'm gonna implement, should work for days without
any human action.

Thanks.
dr. Valentino Tontodonato
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,359 Views)
If you have the Internet Connectivity Toolkit for LabVIEW, this task is pretty straight forward.
You can use the FTP Library that is included in there and leverage it to communicate from the RT Target out to a FTP Server.
Without the toolkit, it is pretty much up to your development skills in implementing FTP communications.
Regards
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,335 Views)