Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VxWorks kernel console self-test?

I have an sbRIO-9626 built in a system that experienced a power loss.  (The entire system, not just the sbRIO.)  When power was restored, the sbRIO was unresponsive on the network.  As near as I can tell, the network port isn't working.

Via the kernel console, I can see the ip settings are correct, so I know it's not that.  Booting into safe mode doesn't enable the port either.  I'm guessing either some firmware was corrupted or a chip got toasted.  Is there any way, through the kernel console, to run a hardware diagnostic self-test or otherwise root cause the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,443 Views)

Hi Daklu,

From the NI side of things, there isn't a hardware diagnostic command. VxWorks may have some type of hardware test command, but I haven't found any. 

Past this, I would try connecting the RIO directly to a computer or some of the other standard RIO network connection troubleshooting steps. This KnowledgeBase article walks through the main troubleshooting steps, in case you would like a reference. 

Why Does My Networked Device Not Show up in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX)?
https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P70YSAS

It also might be worth reformatting the sbRIO, which you can read through at this link. 

How Do I Format My Real-Time Target and Reinstall the Software?
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/6B1343F61905203386257051006573CA

If you end up needing the recovery media, then feel free to get in touch with NI through a Service Request at ni.com/support

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,386 Views)

Hi Jordans,

I realize I didn't provide enough information in my original post, but at the time the indicator lights on the network port were not activating at all.  I had no ability to connect to the device through the network port, meaning no ping, no Max, no Network Browser, etc.  The only access I had was via the kernel console.  This continued over a couple days through several reboots, booting into safe mode, power cycles, etc.

I replaced the board in my system with a new one and set the faulty one aside.  This morning, after reading your post, I powered it up again to see what I could do.  Magically, the network port worked as though nothing had ever gone wrong.  Maybe a random cosmic ray happened to flip the exact combination of bits needed to set things right?  🙂

(Actually, I suspect I didn't remove power long enough for all the board capacitance to drain.  Shame on me.)

Thanks for taking the time to respond,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,377 Views)