From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install FPGA Compilation tools for sbRIO evaluation kit

I have an sbRIO evaluation kit that I'm trying to use.  I'm on a Windows 7 computer for development, and LabVIEW 2010 (ver. 10.0). So far, I think I've been able to install all the needed software for the sbRIO except for the 'Compilation Tools for FPGA Targets other than Virtex-II'.  Trying to install this fails (nothing at all happens, ever, as far as I can tell.) I think I need the Xilinx 11.5 compilation tools, but can't seem to find where to download this. Installation from the disk provided with the evaluation kit fails with a Windows SDK error. (error -12)

Thanks, hope that made sense.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,570 Views)

Hi Zephyrious,

I'm having trouble finding any info on that error that directly relates to this issue.  Could you post a screenshot of the failure/error message?  That would be helpful for finding more info about this failure and looking for a workaround. I'd also like for you to verify that no Xilinx tools are installed to the NIFPGA\programs directory.

Regards,

-Dave C

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,556 Views)

Hi Dave,

Here's the error message that occurs when trying to install off the disk in the embedded eval kit.  Got this error for the LV version on the disk, FPGA module and RT module:

Attempting to install off LV 2010 disks worked for the RT Module and the FPGA module etc, but not for the compilation tools for FPGA "other than Virtex II".  From going ahead and trying the system anyway, looks like Xilinx 11.5 compile tools are the issue (that's the error message I get when trying to compile).

I'm adding to this w/another post.

Kjirste

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,549 Views)

Some further information,

Over the weekend I tried to do this install again (just the compile tools).  It again appeared to be stalled, but I forgot about it.  About 6 hours later, the installation suddenly started.  Unfortunately, it later failed with an error 1305. "Error reading from file: C:\NIFPGA\programs\Xilinx11_5\ISE\coregen\ip\xilinx\dsp\com\xilinx\ip\xfft_f5_0\mux_bus8.vhd.  Verify file exists.."

The file was there (yes, there are Xilinx 10.1 and 11.5 directories under NIFPGA, though I'm not sure if everything is correct), so I retried.  That failed, indicating that the NI LabVIEW FPGA Xilinx 11.5 Tools - Part 8 installation had failed.

Since there were files that appeared to be tools for Xilinx 11.5 in the NIFPGA directory, I tried compiling again in spite of the error messages.  That didn't work, I think the error message was the same as earlier, indicating no compilation tools available.

To be honest, I wouldn't spend time on this if I were you.  I was checking the eval kit out to see what issues were likely to arise before handing it off to a student.  I have a list of things they need to be aware of and will probably hand it off now, since they are probably running LV 2011 and will need Xilinx 12.4 instead.  Hopefully things will go smoothly for them.

Thanks,

Kjirste

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,548 Views)

Hi Kjirste,

I found some info regarding error 1305 here pretty readily, and I think that the steps included there may also help with the SDK error that was occurring.  If the student has any more issues come up, please feel free to start up a thread and ask for more assistance.

Regards,

-Dave C

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 5 of 6
(4,534 Views)

Thanks, I've passed on the information. 

Kjirste

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,522 Views)