Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Best way to transfer datas from CompactRIO to Host.vi

Solved!
Go to solution

I am really bored from communication or data acquisition problems when I transfer sensor datas from Target.vi to Host.vi.

Sometimes the program is frozen. Sometimes there is lossy data transfer from Target to Host.

What I want is that please tell me the best way to transfer sensor datas from CompactRIO to Host.vi so that my program will not be frozen or there will be no lossy communication.

"""When doing this, please assume that I will collect approximately 100 sensor datas with sampling rate 5 Hz during 5 hours.""""

I do NOT want buffer problem, lossy data problem, CPU problem, Memory problem, frozen problem anymore.

Thank you for now

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 32
(3,092 Views)

100 sensors at 5Hz is well within in scan engine range. You can pop the data in one giant cluster and ship it down to the host with a stream.

Message 2 of 32
(3,089 Views)

How are you currently doing it?  Shared Variables? (I hate those things).

In general, TCP/IP or Network Streams are the way to stream data between your systems.  Personally, I tend to use the TCP/IP with the STM library.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 32
(3,081 Views)

These usually happens in long-timed tests. I use shared variable to transfer the 100 sensor datas to the Host.vi.

For example, the while loop that I use to parse the sensor datas come from Target.vi slows down in time. There is no arrays, property nodes or anything that may cause to make the loop slow down. Only there is a shared variable to parse sensor datas.

May a shared variable cause such a thing? I can not understand the logic. It seems that the shared variable causes to freeze the loop. Is it possible??

At the speed and lossless communication side, the best idea is to use Network Streams ??

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 32
(3,073 Views)

@Gilfoyle wrote:

May a shared variable cause such a thing? I can not understand the logic. It seems that the shared variable causes to freeze the loop. Is it possible??

I have seen Network Published Shared Variables (NPSV) do worse.  They tend to be slow and problematic.  And they work with UDP, which is a lossy network communication protocol.  Yes, the NPSV is one of the few things in LabVIEW programming I claim are evil.  The only time I legitimately found them useful was to pass the CLED exam, and I felt dirty using them for it.

@Gilfoyle wrote:

At the speed and lossless communication side, the best idea is to use Network Streams ??

Like I said before, TCP or Network Streams will both handle your data rate with no problem.  It is just a question of which one you are more comfortable with.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 32
(3,070 Views)

Then the best way to transfer sensor datas is to use Network Streams. 

Should I use "Build Array" or "Merge Signal" function to combine the sensor datas? (I mean I will use "Write Multiple Elements to Stream" function. Then I have to combine the datas. Which function is the best to combine? Build Array, Merge Signal, Bundle etc.)

Should I use while loop or Timed-while loop at the Target.vi ?

I want to make everything correct at the Target side. It must be perfect when we consider memory usage and speed

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 32
(3,067 Views)

I also dislike the Dynamic Data type.  For that reason alone, use Build Array.  I have used clusters.

Nothing here is time critical, so no need for a Timed Loop.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 32
(3,020 Views)

For data which much be lossless, such as regularly sampled measurement data or command / response data, use network streams.  For tag data, when you only care about latest values, use shared variables.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 32
(2,988 Views)

Sir, I tried Network Streams instead of shared variable. The result did not change. I guess there is a problem at my data logging algorithm.

I log the sensors (approximately 105) to a text file in while loop at sampling rate 5 Hz. Whole long tests, it may cause the loop to slown down. I will try to divide the datas in three different while loop. So that for each loop there will be only 35 sensor datas.

I will log whole datas during 2 hours and observe what will happen

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 32
(2,972 Views)

105 channels at 5 Hz is not a tremendous amount of overhead.  Network streams should be able to handle that easily, but you will have to put a bit of effort into managing buffer overruns and underruns.

On the host side, there is no need to log that data at the acquisition rate, as long as you can buffer it fast enough to keep up with the incoming data, and log the contents of the buffer to disk at a rate which strikes a balance between minimizing risk of data loss and keeping disk activity to a minimum.  You also don't want your disk writes to suspend other activity for so long that you force a buffer overrun on the read side.

Also, make sure that you are only opening a reference to your logfile once, writing to it in a loop, and then only closing the reference when you're finished.  TDMS data files will also be considerably faster than text files for logging.  You might want to consider logging as TDMS, and then if you need a text file, performing a conversion as a post-processing step after you're finished with the acquisition.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 32
(2,970 Views)